Menu
JenniR81
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Unable to connect to MS Remote Desktop

I have recently switched from BT to Virgin broadband, and use Superhub 3.  Ever since the switch, I have been unable to connect to my work computer via Microsoft Remote Desktop when using my home broadband.  If I use any other broadband provider when out and about, I am able to connect with no issues, so I know that the problem is purely with Virgin.

I have tried adjusting my firewall settings and port forwarding.  I have spoken to our IT support who only knew how to tackle the problem when using Superhub 2, but I can't find equivalent setting with Superhub 3.  I have also had lengthy conversations with Virgin, speaking to 7 different people before finally being told that Virgin does not support MS Remote Desktop, therefore they are unable to help me and I will have to find my own solution.  I have literally spent hours trying to resolve this, as I work from home quite often, so would appreciate any suggestions! 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to connect to MS Remote Desktop

to help rule some things out first would be trying using modem mode on the hub -> https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030... to see you can connect to the MS remote, this will limit you to one wired connection
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
JenniR81
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to connect to MS Remote Desktop

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  I had actually already tried this, and it resulted in me being locked out of the internet and my account, followed by a half hour call to Virgin to fix the problem.  I have just tried again and the same thing has happened - the system has crashed in the middle of switching to modem mode. 

Coupled with this, is the fact that my ethernet cable does not appear to be compatible with my Macbook, so even if the switch had worked, I wouldn't be able to test whether MS Remote Desktop was working.

I really wish I had never made the switch to Virgin because there seems to be no solution to the problem, which means I am no longer able to work from home, or I have to go out and find somewhere with wifi that I can use every time I need to do some work that involves accessing our accounting system.  I'm sure there must be a quick fix but Virgin are unwilling to help in any way.  And to think we only moved from BT because of the atrocious customer service!

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos