Menu
Antnee
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Unable to connect an RSI Videofied alarm panel over port 888 on Hub 3

Hi!

I have an RSI Videofied alarm system that I'm trying to connect to a remote monitoring station. I know that it works as I've tested it elsewhere and it's fine. It is connected on the WLAN and I see an IP of 192.168.0.26. The monitoring station is on port 888. I've tried it in two locations with VM hardware, including at home with my Hub 3 and it doesn't work at all. I've tested it over BT and also a VM business connection and it works fine there. I also tethered it to my EE phone and that works OK.

So I figure that the Hub 3 is blocking port 888. I vaguely remember having similar problems with the XBox 360 years ago when that first came out, so I'm looking for what to open up to allow the system to send alarms out but I can't get it to work properly.

Firstly I tried setting up port forwarding like this:

port-forwarding.jpg

That doesn't work. So I tried setting up port filtering see if that helps. only whatever destination and target ports I set I still see 0:0 like this: 

port-filtering.jpg

I don't know which of these (if either) I should be using, and I don't think that the port filtering is working properly either.

I've also tried setting 192.168.0.26 as the DMZ to see if that helps. Nope.

So the question is; how on Earth do I get these alarms out to the receiving station? How can I open up port 888? To me it's clearly an issue with VM somewhere along the line; either my hub or the network as a whole. Please help, it's driving me nuts! Smiley Happy

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Antnee
Joining in
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to connect an RSI Videofied alarm panel over port 888 on Hub 3

I'm even more confused now! I just tried telnetting to the monitoring station on port 888 from my laptop which is on the same wifi network, and that appears to connect fine... so what does that suggest? I can connect to any wifi anywhere except VM home systems in two locations with two different hubs, but I can also telnet to the server from my laptop on the same VM home system...
0 Kudos
Antnee
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It only gets more confusing...

I have a powerline Ethernet system in the house with it's own WiFi network (different SSID and channels). If I connect to that then I can get out no problem. The alarms are coming in as expected. So the problem is the Hub 3's wifi? Does that make sense?
0 Kudos
Antnee
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

OK, so a few things that we've tested and whether they've worked or not:

• Wifi directly to Super Hub 2: Not working
  • Wired into Super Hub 2: Works OK
  • Netgear Wifi Extender into Super Hub 2 Wifi: Works OK
  • Wifi directly to Hub 3.0: Not working
  • Wired into Hub 3.0: Works OK
  • Wifi into different Wifi SSID AP which is wired into Hub 3.0: Works OK
  • Sky Wifi: Works OK
  • Netgear Wifi AP on work's VM fibre: Works OK
  • BT Hub 5 Type A Wifi: Works OK

On the Hub 3.0 we've also tried disabling 2.4GHz and running only on 5GHz but that didn't work, and we've tried only on 2.4GHz but that also didn't work. We've tried on different channels on the Hub 3.0 as well as different combinations of b/g/n, g/n and just n, but again, none work when connected directly. Also tried 20MHz band mode and 20/40MHz. Couldn't try 40MHz only as the Hub 3.0 doesn't seem to like that setting and goes back to whatever it was set to previously.

What I find especially strange is that this device works on all wifi APs that we've tested it with except the VM ones, and as far as I can see the Super Hub 2 is made by Netgear, and the Hub 3.0 is a UPC Compal? So I don't believe that it's a problem with the hardware as much as it's a problem with the VM software. I appreciate that every other device connects to these APs fine, but likewise this alarm system connects to every other AP without a problem.

So how do we proceed?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Antree,

Apologies for this issue and I do appreciate the steps you've taken in an attempt to rectify the issue yourself. It's refreshing to read a post with so much detail included Smiley Happy

To be totally frank I don't know whether or not port 888 is blocked on Hub 3. But I'm in contact with the firmware development team to find out what I can.

As soon as they respond I'll provide you with the updated information. 

Bye for now,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Antnee
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

That's brilliant, thanks Jen.

FYI, I don't think it is port 888 that's blocked because we can get it through a repeater or wired, but I dunno Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Antnee,

Thanks for waiting Smiley Happy

We've tested this out and port 888 is definitely not blocked on Hub 3.

Here are our steps:

• DHCP Reservation 
  • Local IP: Whichever router has assigned
  • Local Start: 888
  • Local End: 888
  • External Start: 888
  • External End: 888
  • Protocol: Both
  • Enabled: On

I would personally advise a factory reset of your Hub to see if that helps, but keep us updated in case we can offer further help.

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Antnee
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen,

We've done all of these things, and as I said, it does the same on a Superhub 2 and the Hub 3.0. We were also able to telnet using a laptop on the same wifi network to the destination IP over port 888 so it's clearly not totally blocked. I don't think it's that simple, to be honest. What's especially strange is that if we use a repeater (we tried a wired TP Link and a wireless Netgear) it works fine with the same alarm system. If we wire the alarm system directly then it also works fine.

I'm convinced that it's a firmware compatibility issue since the two hubs are manufactured by different companies, and the alarm system connects to every other wifi network with no problem. BT, Sky, our own Netgear and TP Link hardware at home and in the office. The only common factors are:

1. The actual alarm system itself
  2. Virgin Media firmware

I wondered if it was more about packet sizes or something. Something that the wifi repeaters were switching to a form that the hubs like. I don't know what, but since the same data can be sent from the alarm system through the repeater to the hub it would suggest that something is resolved by the hub, wouldn't it?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Antnee,

Thanks for getting back to me. I admit to being a tad stumped on this one. Though we tested out port 888 we were unable to replicate your issue exactly as that would require purchase of the Videofied Alarm Panel.

I'll query this with the firmware team to see if they have any ideas. I know they're extremely busy at the moment so we may not get a speedy response but I'll post back as soon as I have any information.

Smiley Happy

Edit:
Please ignore the above for now as my investigation into this may need to take a different direction - are you a VM residential or business customer? 

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Antnee
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen,

I'm a residential customer. I have the Hub 3.0 here (and the wired TP Link AP). The alarm system is actually at my mum's where they have the Superhub 2 and the Netgear wireless extender. We've also tested it at work where we're a business VM customer (with a BT line for when there's an outage) so we've been able to test a lot of combinations
0 Kudos