I've tried everything in the link above, as well as the Microsoft KBA and numerous online threads but no luck. I've tried to reserve an IP Address through DHCP Reservation for the device I'm having the problem on but still, nothing's done the trick.
I'm really sorry if the Windows10 update is still affecting your ability to connect. If our post on the matter fails to help I would urge you to post on the Microsoft Community. They should be able to help or, others experiencing the same problem may be able to offer advice.
If you do manage to get this resolved please post an update on here. It would be invaluable for any others encountering this problem.