Menu
Chromey85
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ubuntu 16.4 won't connect to SH2AC, any ideas?

Hi 

I'm new to Linux (literally just installed it) and it won't connect to the router, wired or wireless. 

I can't find any help anywhere online and customer services didn't support Linux.

Many Thanks in advance 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ubuntu 16.4 won't connect to SH2AC, any ideas?

Yeah seems like some people are experiencing problems after installing/upgrading to Ubuntu 16.04 with certain wired/wireless drivers.

Had no problems with drivers on Linux Mint 18.1 (which is based on Ubuntu 16.04) and connecting to my SH2ac. https://www.linuxmint.com/

When Linux Mint boots, wifi and wired are working straight away.

You could try installing an earlier version of Ubuntu (14.04) or Mint (17.3) to USB stick and booting to it? To see if it's your hardware... new Linux Kernals can have regressions with drivers not working. Those versions should work fine.

Before doing that you could try this work-around for wifi: https://itsfoss.com/wifi-not-connecting-linux-mint-ubuntu/

Chromey85
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I'll give that a shot. Be back with the results
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

By the way, I would personally recommend Linux Mint over Ubuntu to a *new* Linux user every time. Here's why: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Tech-Chatter/What-the-best-lunix-operating-system/m-p/3085491#M2...

Chromey85
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Soooo, I've tried many many versions of Linux and I'm going to put it down to my motherboard. The LAN chipset simply does not like Linux  (or vice versa).

What I have now done is taken the splitter off from  downstairs and attached it to the white box upstairs and now I have the sh2ac in the same room as the computer. 

I really wanted to have a go at using Linux on my pc to see the difference bit alas, I will have to wait.

Thanks again for your help

0 Kudos
twin--turbo
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Strange, Linux is generally very good with drivers these days.

What system are you running on?

I have used Linux for 20 Years, Gone through

Redhat
Mandrake (to Mandriva)Suse (Still have a SLES box running which is 8+ years old)
Ubuntu
Now "Mint"

I replaced my laptop "N" card with an "AC" earlier in the month and other than having to put the WPA code again (has to do that) it worked straight off.

TT

0 Kudos
twin--turbo
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I do remember having some trouble on Broadcom cards a few years back on Ubuntu 10.x ( was a Dell D630)

TT

0 Kudos