Menu
magpye82
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Trying to connect to wifi extender

Hi guys

Had VM installed yesterday and unfortunately wifi doesn't reach one of our bedrooms.

I purchased a D-Link Dab-1320 wireless extender but for some reason it does not show the VM Superhub (3.0) when it offers up available routers/access points. It does show other virgin media routers in neighbouring flats, so it seems like the extender works, but just not with my new VM router!

Has anybody installed one of these before? Seems pretty straight forward so I was surprised it wasn't working, but don't know if I need to adjust some router settings?

Any advice very welcome.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Trying to connect to wifi extender

Hi magpye82,

Welcome to Virgin Media and to our Community, glad you've joined usSmiley Happy
Sorry for the problems you're experiencing with Wi-Fi, though I'm confident we can help. I suspect that you may need to separate the wireless frequencies on the Hub, I know that this has helped with similar issues on other peripheral devices.

Access your Hub (with a pc or laptop):

• Type 192.168.0.1 into your Internet browser
  • Navigate to the Hub's interface pages - the login information is on the label on the Hub.
  • Click on Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
  • Change the WiFi Network Name (SSID) beneath Wireless Frequency *2.4GHz
  • Change the WiFi Network Name (SSID) beneath Wireless Frequency *5GHz
  • Click Apply Changes

Hopefully your wireless extender should now see one of the frequencies.

Please let us know how you get on Smiley Happy

*It's a good idea to put the number 2 at the end of your 2.4GHz network name, and a number 5 at the end of your 5GHz network name so you know which frequency you're connecting to.

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Tsar
Up to speed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I guess you've put the extender in the bedroom where there is no signal from the SH? The extender needs to be in a place where it can receive the signal from the SH and then "extend" it. So try it a bit close to the SH.

0 Kudos
shellyburdett
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Our wifi does not work in one of the bedroom, please advise of the best router to buy to extend the wifi

Thanks Michelle

0 Kudos