Menu
JHart_7
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Tivo Box and TP Link Powerline Adapter HELP

Hi all.
I am Wondering if somebody can help me. My router is downstairs, ny Tivo box is upstairs. I have connected the two with a TP-Link Power Adapter 600mbps Nano.
Tivo box keeps telling me connection unsuccessful and to check cables and restart setup. I have had the laptop plugged in to the same power line network and it works fine.
I rang virgin support and was on hold for over 20 minutes before being dissconnected!!
Does anyone know what my problem could be?
Thanks in advance

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tivo Box & TP Link Powerline Adapter HELP

What are you trying to do by connecting your TiVo to your router?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Two main functions:

1. Allows the TV Anywhere app to act as a replacement for your physical TiVo remote;

2. If you have multiple TiVo and/or V6s, allows MultiRoom Streaming (MRS) which means you can watch recordings from one TiVo on the TV connected to a different TiVo.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

What are you trying to do by connecting your TiVo to your router?

0 Kudos
JHart_7
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I thought the box had to be connected to the router. Iv realised it is the cable connection in my bedroom causing the problem.
Just out of interest. What benefits are there of having an ethernet port on the tivo box?
Thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Two main functions:

1. Allows the TV Anywhere app to act as a replacement for your physical TiVo remote;

2. If you have multiple TiVo and/or V6s, allows MultiRoom Streaming (MRS) which means you can watch recordings from one TiVo on the TV connected to a different TiVo.

Almedia
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Dear JHart_7

With regard to your question about what are the benefits of the Ethernet port on the Tivo box, the older (larger) Tivo box has its own dedicated internet connection built-in which I believe was around 10Mbps and so it was not essential to provide a separate connection to your broadband router for it to provide all basic facilities. However, if you wanted to use the TVAnywhere app on your mobile phone/tablet to utilise the device as a remote control or to stream selected Tivo playback to it, you need both the Tivo and mobile device to be on the same home network. This could be facilitated by connecting your router to the Tivo box via Ethernet cable if they are conveniently near each other or alternatively by using Powerline adaptors which use your electricity cabling to do away with a long Ethernet cable joining the two units between different rooms.  The new V6 Tivo box does not have its own internet connection built-in which means that to use features such as On Demand, Catch-Up and of course the remote control facility mentioned above, the V6 box needs either to be connected to your router via its built-in wi-fi, (using the 5GHz option) or for best results, you would make an Ethernet connection as described above.  I use the Netgear PLP1200 Powerline adaptors, obtainable from Virgin Media (https://my.virginmedia.com/my-app/extending-your-network.html) which provides my V6 box with an excellent (and tidy) home network connection so that all facilities are available plus I don't lose the power wall sockets taken up. The V6 box could not rely on the older built-in internet connection as the demands of UHD streaming (e.g. Netflix) alone needs a much increased bandwidth so makes it future-proof.  Hope this helps!

0 Kudos