Menu
omrsax
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Timed Access Control using IP and Port filtering

I have just transferred to Virgin Media from BT. On my BT Home Hub 5 I was able to disable internet access to selected devices on my network at set times of the day (in half hour intervals). I would set the internet to automatically go off at midnight and come back on at 8.00am each day on my kid's devices. I could do this with both wireless and wired (ethernet) devices. I could even set different times for each device if I wanted to. On my new Super Hub 3 I have to manually switch off the internet to devices using MAC Filtering on the Advanced menu. This is no timed option. However on the IP and Port filtering page I notice there is time option where you set the internet to go off at set days and times. This only appears to work on devices added using ' Create a Rule '. When I click ' Create a Rule ' instead of bringing up a list of devices to select it asks for the following technical information :- i) Protocol ii) Source IP Address iii) Destination IP Address iv) Source Port Range v) Destination Port Range I am not a computer expert and do not know what values to enter for each device I wish to restrict access. All I know is the MAC address and IP address for each device as shown in the connected devices list. What values to I enter or how do I find out the correct values to enter. Can someone help? Thanks
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Timed Access Control using IP and Port filtering

Hi omrsax,

Welcome to virgin and the community, nice to have you onboardSmiley Happy

The not such great news is that the new Virgin Media Hub3.0 has a firmware bug and the IP and Port filtering functionality does't fully work at the moment sorry.

We're currently working with the manufacturers to get this ironed out in future firmware releases, if you nudge us here periodically we'll gladly check for any news or developments.

Kind Rgds

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
RaniR
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Any updates on this? I had a Firmware update message on last night. I tested IP Filtering this morning and it is still not working.

Called Tech Support, they said, we don't support such request!

0 Kudos
teedyay
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Here's a periodic nudge for you. Has there been any progress on this at all? Will there be?

As it stands, this lack of a feature is a complete show-stopper for me! I need to block internet access by port range for particular devices to ensure my kid's online safety (watching YouTube Kids is OK; playing on public Minecraft servers is not).

When can we expect this to be fixed? Can you supply me with a stand-in wireless router to use in the meantime, so I can enable this security feature on that?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

teedyay wrote:

When can we expect this to be fixed? Can you supply me with a stand-in wireless router to use in the meantime, so I can enable this security feature on that?

They are not going to fix it and they are not going to given you a stand-in wireless router because you can get that the security is down to you VM do websafe for you as it is and any amount of security done in the super hub/hub can be worked round or bypassed which VM does not want to take any part in being blamed that it don't work let alone any problems it might cause and the complexity that goes with it for the user and support to know about.

Hoodstermidland
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Just changed from superhub 2 to superhub 3 and need to switch the internet off for my children devices. Please explain how to do this or show me how to show the ports i need to block?

0 Kudos
dragondrop
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Please can someone from Virgin Media let me know when this is going to be resolved? 

I have just 'up' graded to the hub 3 specifically for this reason - I asked the lady on the phone if it could do this - I explained the exact use-case described above (albeit with slightly different timings) and the lady said I would be able to do this. (I've wasted money and time away from work to wait in for this - and a a night of hassle trying to figure out where I was going wrong last night. )

0 Kudos
MagicMavis
Dialled in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The SH3 is not an upgrade from anything. It's an awful, awful device.

Your best bet is to do ANYTHING you can to get a 2ac instead, then find a proper router which does what you want in filtering/scheduling terms and run the 2ac in modem mode with the router doing the filtering/scheduling. The SH3 isn't great at Modem Mode (it's only great at being terrible right now) because every 30 minutes it decides that it should reset the Ethernet socket.
MagicMavis
Dialled in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Shortest route to resolution:

Abandon any/all hope of a piece of kit from VM actually being good. (5 years after getting the SH1, I'm still waiting for that to happen.) Buy your own router which supports the functions you need, run the hub as a modem and let the router do the job of being a router. Hysterical that VM won't supply a modem, but force you to take their hub...then tell you to run it as a modem anyway to circumvent the hub being a PoS. Seems like a legit business decision.
tugavoa
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have managed to block access to Internet to specified devices in particular periods by weekday using the mac filtering on the hub3. I also have a router hooked to 1 of the ports feeding the back and top of the house which has a youngster gaming  hooked on, meaning I flick the switch and he goes to sleep. As I'm not as bad as I look like I extend the allowance on half terms and such.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos