Menu
azzer2000
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

TP link adapters occasionally dropping internet connection

Hi,

I am using TP link adapters from my livingroom to my pc in a bedroom. The connection works great most of the time, but randomly web pages will say im not connected to the internet, even though my pc in the network settings says i am.

To solve the problem i can either wait 3 - 5 minutes and it just resumes, or i can switch the TP link adapter in the bedroom off then back on. This is particularly annoying if i cuts out while im transfering money online or playing online poker.

Also on this particular adapter all the lights are continuously solid, unlike the one in my conservatory which flashes as it should. I have switched them round and it makes no difference, the one in the bedroom, all lights stay on with no flicker. 

Does anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TP link adapters occasionally dropping internet connection

You haven't said which TP-Link adapters you have. From the sound of it they are Powerline adapters, in which case there will be one by your VM hub.

Is the Internet connection still available directly from the VM hub when this happens?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
azzer2000
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thats right yes, powerline wired adapters, not the wifi extending ones, and yes, all other internet is working

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just looking at it coldly, and on the basis that it's the one in the bedroom that craps out, no matter which of the units it is (you did say that, yes?), the electrical conditions may be poor.

I use Powerline adaptors in two houses and the one furthest from the source (at the router) has the slowest speed and sometimes a light changes to show poor conditions.

This theory can be proved out by having them all in one room, or certainly downstairs on the same ring (which they will be) and see if that happens.

0 Kudos
azzer2000
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I would have to try that but its so difficult to know when it will happen, sometimes i can sit on my pc for hours and no problem, other times 10 minutes and i will happen then not again for a few days. Im confused as to why the lights are all just permanently on, on the bedroom one.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Is there anything connected to the Ethernet port in the bedroom when all the lights are on?

My understanding of TP-Link devices is that they flash when transferring data (except the power LED) and are solid green in normal conditions.

Which model TP-Link Powerline?

0 Kudos
azzer2000
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That's what I thought. All the lights shouldn't be on. Yes even when it's is connected via Ethernet to my PC. I think they are the nano version. From Argos.
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The lights should be on.

POWER (top) must be on or nothjing will work.
POWERLINE (middle) can be a variable colour according to signal quality - best is green.
ETHERNET (bottom) should be on if connected to a device and off if not connected..

I see your probl;em; the lights show good, but it's always the bedroom, no matter which adapter is in the socket (directly in the wall socket, yes?) that conks out.

Hence the awkward test scenario I suggested.

0 Kudos