Menu
thomasp
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Synology Diskstation, AFP and SuperHub 3

I have recently switched to Virgin from BT. I have a Synology Diskstation NAS connected via ethernet to the SuperHub 3. I have two Macs and a TV connected via Wifi which, when connected to the old BT hub could see the Diskstation and connect to it.

Since switching to the Virgin Superhub none of the devices can connect via the AFP protocol, which means Time Machine cannot work. How can I enable AFP on my SmartHub?

Thank you for the help.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Synology Diskstation, AFP and SuperHub 3

AFP is an Apple proprietry protocol and will not be available on the Hub.

Is the NAS on the same subnet as the hub, 192.168.0.xxx by default?

0 Kudos
thomasp
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I find it strange how everything worked fine on my BT hub (HomeHub3 and SmartHub), and essentially the only thing that changed when moving to Virgin, aside from the hub, was the IP range. I have set the Diskstation to recognise the different IP range for the Virgin hub (192.168.0.x rather than 192.168.1.x), so yes it is on the same subnet.

If AFP is proprietary to Apple, how come I was able to connect fine on a different router? Is there a setting somewhere on the SuperHub I need to enable to allow internal network file sharing traffic?

Many thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I would guess that AFP would rely on other proocols for communication like TCP/IP. According to Wikipedia it uses ports 548 or 427.

The only thing I can think of is It possibly could be a port problem or a firewall problem.

The Hub 3 is a basic device with heavily constricted firmware, there are a lot of posts on here about port forwarding not working. maybe worth a try or enabling uPNP as a long shot.

I fear the only solution maybe getting a decent third party router and putting the hub 3 in modem mode.

Maybe someone else with more experience of the Hub 3 can offer some better advice.

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, you're talking Lan to Lan, odd that the superhub should block it.

obvious things 1st, I assume that AFP is still enabled on the synology and didn't somehow accidentally get disabled. It may actually be worth disabling if it was still enabled, rebooting the synology and then re enabling it. that though is just a shot in the dark in that changing router somehow messed up some settings in it.

Could you try connecting a Mac Via ethernet and see what happens?

If you still have your previous router, then you could disable DCHP on it and set it up as an access point, you wouldn't need to put the hub in modem mode then but could just connect via your old router.

0 Kudos
thomasp
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It does seem the Superhub blocks LAN to LAN activity. AFP had not been disabled on the Diskstation, and unfortunately several reboots of the hub and Diskstation, in different orders, did not solve the problem.

I've hooked the old BT SmartHub into the Superhub as an access point, disabled wifi on the Superhub and DHCP on the SmartHub, and everything is now working as it did before. 5GHz wifi performance also seems to have improved.

Thanks for the help, it's a shame the Superhub is such a basic device that it can't even support local network sharing, and I now have to run two devices. I guess that's a small price to pay to not put up with ADSL internet!

0 Kudos