Menu
zoppzee
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Switch for VM 2ac

Hello

I have got a VM Hub 2ac running in modem mode connected to TP-Link C8 (all in garage away from everything else in house) My BB speed is 150MB, I am not getting full speed either.

I have got 12 wired (Cat6) network points so I need 16 port giga switch. I wish to connect all 12 points to a single switch and move the C8 in the centre of house to ensure I get proper WiFi coverage. I am considering a plug & play switch.

Any suggestions on the make and model of the switch and network connection methods.

Zoppzee

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Switch for VM 2ac

many options but a point to consider - if the 16 point fails you lose it all - imo its better to break it down - 2 x 8 way or even 4/5 ways

Tony
zoppzee
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the suggestion, are you recommend any switch?

Zoppzee

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

depends on your budget, and if you want it to be manageable, e.g. turn off ports, do vlans etc..
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
zoppzee
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Zoppzee

paultechy wrote:
depends on your budget, and if you want it to be manageable, e.g. turn off ports, do vlans etc..

Thanks. I need to keep things a simple as possible to so plug & play is good for me. I need a box which connects to VM 2AC in modem mode and rest of the cables. I am happy to spend upto £100.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

the setup you would need is hub (modem mode) to router --> switch. you could use something like -> https://www.comms-express.com/products/tp-link-tl-sg1016de//?keyword=&campaign=197269397&ad=13920537... this is managed switch, but will work fine with just plug and play. since having multi switches attached to each other can cause loops, and if the switch cannot detect this bye bye network.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
zoppzee
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

paultechy wrote:
the setup you would need is hub (modem mode) to router --> switch. you could use something like -> https://www.comms-express.com/products/tp-link-tl-sg1016de//?keyword=&campaign=197269397&ad=13920537... this is managed switch, but will work fine with just plug and play. since having multi switches attached to each other can cause loops, and if the switch cannot detect this bye bye network.

Apologies for a silly question, do I need a Router between the Hub and the Switch or can I connect the Hub directly to the Swtich? I need to move my WiFi router to a different location to ensure I have good WiFi coverage.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Depending on the setup and what you need done but for most people you need NAT or aka router between the hub and switch when hub is in modem mode to do a type or NAT.

0 Kudos
zoppzee
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

legacy1 wrote:
Depending on the setup and what you need done but for most people you need NAT or aka router between the hub and switch when hub is in modem mode to do a type or NAT.

Thanks. I now have access to TP-Link SG1016D for a couple of days to experiment and get the set up right before I buy a switch. My idea:

1. I use VM HUB 2ac as the router, in the garage where VM Fibre terminates but disable the WiFi.
  2. Use SG1016D to connect home wired network.
  3. Place the TP-Link C8 in the living room, connect it via the wired network and use its WiFi.

Series of silly questions continues below Smiley Embarassed :

• The question is which DHCP will be used, VM 2ac or TP-Link C8?
  • Could I turn DHCP off on one of the above?
  • Would this setup work?

0 Kudos