Menu
sykesy66
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Superhub2 needing regular reset to restart WiFi

I am having really frustrating problems with my superhub 2  contantly need rebooting upto 4-5 times daily (when i say daily i mean in the evenings when the kids are home and on their game consoles). My wired PC very rarely has any issues even when i hear that dreaded noise of 2 pairs of feet racing down the stairs telling my we have no wifi and its kicked them out of COD or what ever game they are playing. It is now virtually unplayable slower speeds of 30-40mg and constant resets. With Christmas coming up this is going to get even worse with the kids being of school. could it be my superhub 2 needs upgrading?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Superhub2 needing regular reset to restart WiFi

It is probably a wireless enviroment issue.

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position as possible, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

Due to the way the wireless signal propagates from the hub the signal is weaker vertically so if the signal has been optimised you may need to add some additional hardware such as powerline adapters to provide a stronger signal upstairs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If it is a single wireless repeater that is not wired back to the hub then it will drop the signal if the signal drops between it and the hub.Repeaters often don't work that well as it relies on the strength of signal it receives from the hub. I would try changing the wireless channel is broadcasting on using the advice offered by a wireless scanner and try moving the repeater closer to the hub.

Powerline adapters are wired back to the Hub using your home's electrical circuits to relay the signal between the pair of adapters, providing an additional  wireless network close to your wireless clients upstairs.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It is probably a wireless enviroment issue.

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position as possible, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

Due to the way the wireless signal propagates from the hub the signal is weaker vertically so if the signal has been optimised you may need to add some additional hardware such as powerline adapters to provide a stronger signal upstairs.

0 Kudos
sykesy66
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

i have added a plug in wifi extender and although it has helped with speeds it still hasn't sorted out it losing signal and losing all wifi. that is why it needs rebooting constantly

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If it is a single wireless repeater that is not wired back to the hub then it will drop the signal if the signal drops between it and the hub.Repeaters often don't work that well as it relies on the strength of signal it receives from the hub. I would try changing the wireless channel is broadcasting on using the advice offered by a wireless scanner and try moving the repeater closer to the hub.

Powerline adapters are wired back to the Hub using your home's electrical circuits to relay the signal between the pair of adapters, providing an additional  wireless network close to your wireless clients upstairs.

0 Kudos
AkumaUk
Settling in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Griffin, however like OP

I have had the same issue since Sunday afternoon. The wireless stops working completely, no SSID can be seen at all on any device. (its not a connection / interference issue)

I have not changed the location of the router, and there are no extenders, bridges, or EoP devices.

Internet is still working via wires, however trying to connect to hub (192.x.x.x ) also stops working from Wired connection once the wifi stops.. only a reboot (power off) solves the issue, but for a short period of time.

Something has changed recently and its not anything I've done.

Thoughts?