Menu
Highlighted
zkecskemeti
Joining in
Message 1 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Superhub keeps resetting itself

In the last few weeks the Superhub started resetting itself at various times, sometimes several times during the day.

Wireless settings go back to default, so all our devices connecting through wifi lose connectivity.

This has happened earlier as well, but since I've seen that the firmware was upgraded at the same time, I didn't think much of it, I assumed it's just part of the upgrade process to reset settings to factory defaults.

But in the last week it's become unbearably annoying, on Friday I was working from home and I lost connectivity multiple times due to this, and it happened on Saturday and today as well. My partner works from home in general and I can't expect her to keep reapplying our custom wifi settings every time, nor do I want to configure everything to use the factory default wifi settings.

Please look into this!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 38
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Superhub keeps resetting itself

A faulty Superhub sometimes loses its settings when it crashes off the network due to power level etc issues. In regards to that, a member of the Forum Team could get you a replacement Superhub sent out.

Can you browse to http://192.168.100.1 - do not login. Click the 'Router Status' button located in the top right hand side of the screen. In there you will find the Downstream, Upstream and Network log sections. Either copy-paste their contents directly into a reply here or screencap+attach said screen caps into a reply here.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 38
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

At present the connection stats are looking OK, but that's not to say large power level adjustments aren't happening.

The Superhub 1 fails catastrophically at keeping any semblance of a network log, even when its bombing off the network faster (and repeatedly) than you can say hey presto. Which makes troubleshooting tougher. So in the absence of network log info, please check the upstream and downstream sections as soon as you can after a drop out. Share those post crash screenshots here.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 38
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Shelke's advice is perfectly sound.

My hard line alternative advice is to call Retentions in the UK and tell them that your (wretched) Superhub 1 is not fit for purpose because of the poor wireless and it keeps resetting to default. You're thinking of leaving under pressure from the wife.

You may be able to blag a SH2 or SH2ac out of them or just have to pay £20 p&p and a bit in their pocket. Worth doing.
Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 38
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi zkecskemeti, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to our Community Smiley Very Happy

I can see you've already had great support from our Superusers, which is always greatly appreciated. 

I'm sorry to hear that your Superhub keeps resetting it'self, it certainly sounds like a faulty unit to me. I'm going to send you a PM so we can look into get this resolved as quickly as possible. Please look out for my message which will be waiting in your inbox (red envelope, top left).

Catch you soon, 

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 38
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

zkecskemeti wrote:

Just happened again, downstream and upstream are similar to last time, but now we have some network logs. New SuperHub is on its way, so this is just a sidenote really.

A interesting side note. The downstream (DS) power levels were a healthy 6-7 dBmV (with the exception of the first DS at 8 dBmV) in the earlier snapshot. But the new snapshot shows that they climbed to borderline levels. Couple that with the logged T4 timeout, it looks like your DS power levels could have spiked over 10 dBmV and caused the connection to drop. Then you've got the power levels screen capped as they started to recover. In that respect it would be worth while to have the downstream side looked into by a member of staff - after you get your replacement hub connected.

There's also a little movement in its choice of upstream channels too.

- - - - - -
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 38
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

A faulty Superhub sometimes loses its settings when it crashes off the network due to power level etc issues. In regards to that, a member of the Forum Team could get you a replacement Superhub sent out.

Can you browse to http://192.168.100.1 - do not login. Click the 'Router Status' button located in the top right hand side of the screen. In there you will find the Downstream, Upstream and Network log sections. Either copy-paste their contents directly into a reply here or screencap+attach said screen caps into a reply here.

- - - - - -
0 Kudos
zkecskemeti
Joining in
Message 3 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick reply! Here you go (network log is empty):

downstream.png

upstream.png

networklog.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 38
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

At present the connection stats are looking OK, but that's not to say large power level adjustments aren't happening.

The Superhub 1 fails catastrophically at keeping any semblance of a network log, even when its bombing off the network faster (and repeatedly) than you can say hey presto. Which makes troubleshooting tougher. So in the absence of network log info, please check the upstream and downstream sections as soon as you can after a drop out. Share those post crash screenshots here.

- - - - - -
0 Kudos
zkecskemeti
Joining in
Message 5 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Ok, will do.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 38
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Shelke's advice is perfectly sound.

My hard line alternative advice is to call Retentions in the UK and tell them that your (wretched) Superhub 1 is not fit for purpose because of the poor wireless and it keeps resetting to default. You're thinking of leaving under pressure from the wife.

You may be able to blag a SH2 or SH2ac out of them or just have to pay £20 p&p and a bit in their pocket. Worth doing.
Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 38
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi zkecskemeti, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to our Community Smiley Very Happy

I can see you've already had great support from our Superusers, which is always greatly appreciated. 

I'm sorry to hear that your Superhub keeps resetting it'self, it certainly sounds like a faulty unit to me. I'm going to send you a PM so we can look into get this resolved as quickly as possible. Please look out for my message which will be waiting in your inbox (red envelope, top left).

Catch you soon, 

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

zkecskemeti
Joining in
Message 8 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Just happened again, downstream and upstream are similar to last time, but now we have some network logs. New SuperHub is on its way, so this is just a sidenote really.

downstream2.png

upstream2.png

networklog2.png

0 Kudos
zkecskemeti
Joining in
Message 9 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all for the help by the way!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 38
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

zkecskemeti wrote:

A interesting side note. The downstream (DS) power levels were a healthy 6-7 dBmV (with the exception of the first DS at 8 dBmV) in the earlier snapshot. But the new snapshot shows that they climbed to borderline levels. Couple that with the logged T4 timeout, it looks like your DS power levels could have spiked over 10 dBmV and caused the connection to drop. Then you've got the power levels screen capped as they started to recover. In that respect it would be worth while to have the downstream side looked into by a member of staff - after you get your replacement hub connected.

There's also a little movement in its choice of upstream channels too.

- - - - - -
0 Kudos