Menu
Doodlebug1
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Superhub keeps dropping wifi

Hi, we have the fastest broadband with a superhub bur the 2g wifi keeps dropping out every half an hour or so, requiring a reboot on the hub to fix it. Any ideas wha t could.be the issue?
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Superhub keeps dropping wifi

Hi Doodlebug, 

Thanks for the post! 

I am sorry to hear about your issues with your 2.4Ghz network dropping, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I've had a look over your Hub and the wider connection, I noticed that your modem's SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) levels are too low and will require an engineer to attend and investigate this further for you.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

All Replies
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Could be interference on the 2.4Ghz band. Have you checked with a Wifi analyser e.g. InSIDDer or similar to see if you are using a congested channel ?

Wireless on 2.4 is prone to interference and best to use 5Ghz if your equipment supports it.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Doodlebug, 

Thanks for the post! 

I am sorry to hear about your issues with your 2.4Ghz network dropping, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I've had a look over your Hub and the wider connection, I noticed that your modem's SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) levels are too low and will require an engineer to attend and investigate this further for you.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

LoganGS
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, My internet speed appears to be fine but the connection drops off repeatedly. This affects when streaming but also with connected devices like the Nest etc. I get notifications from these when the internet goes down and it seems to happen on a daily basis now. Any advice would be great. 

0 Kudos
leonmeredith
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I've been having the same problem on 2.4gz especially on Nest products. Recently changed my settings on the hub from auto to a fixed channel (11 in my case) and so far seems to be stable. Might be worth a try?

0 Kudos
Doodlebug1
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I had an engineer come out and thr.problem was indeed a low signal to noise (SNR) ratio. The engineer had to.fix this at rhe box in the street by increasing the gain. Since he did this on wednesday my internet has been stable. Whereas I was getting dropouts almost hourly now I get none.
0 Kudos
heppenm
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have had this problem as well for the last few months, connection seems to drop mainly on the lap top which is on 2ghz (it won't use 5ghz).

An earlier post mentions changing channels, how do you do this?

0 Kudos
leonmeredith
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You need to log into your router using the details on the sticker. You can change the channel setting from auto to a fixed one. 6 and 11 are usually safe tries. Though saying that soon after I did it I started having the same problem so might be worth exploring the SNR option with virgin.
I gave up and bought an ORBI kit and turned the super hub into a simple modem. Was expensive but what a fantastic bit of kit especially if you want to extend your signal.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi hepenm,

Apologise that you are affected by disconnecting WiFi.

In addition to leonmeredith's helpful reply you may find our help articles below to be of use:

Changing your Virgin Media Hub's wireless channels.

Getting the best WiFi signal.

Please let us know if you continue to have issues after following the advice contained. We can't always change the way wireless behaves but we can check for any system/area issues - I have just tested for this but your connection looks healthy.

Kind wishes, 

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos