Menu
davethegeo
Joining in
Message 1 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Superhub intermittently dropping WiFi connection

My superhub (VMDG480) drops its WIFI connection to many devices intermittently. Cable connections via a switch are always OK. Cycling the power for the Superhub fixes the problem until the next time. 

Internet connections are generally solid since a recent visit by an engineer who remade connections in the street and removed an attenuator.

The WiFi is pretty unreliable recently and seems to be getting more so. Nothing new has been added to the WiFi network - no new devices.

How long should I wait and see if the problem gets better again? I'd like to have a new Superhub 3 so don't want to shout too loudly in case I get a 2AC to fix the problem!

Dave

0 Kudos
norskyorkie
Up to speed
Message 2 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub intermittently dropping WiFi connection

Welcome to the club, WIFI worked fine with a steady 100 meg on my old Superhub, foolishly I asked to be switched to the 200 meg option which needed a Superhub 2.

I've had unacceptable download speed ever since, that's assuming the WIFI actually connected.

Yesterday and so far today I'm lucky if it connects for longer than a couple of minutes, it's just gone again and is re-connecting, yesterday I streamed a 30 minute news item and the WIFI dropped 13 times.

I rebooted the Superhub and it flashed for 15 minutes before the 2.4g and 5g connected, it's just dropped again, my mobile Netgear WIFI app is showing -73dBm when it manages to connect which I think way out, I've just done a speed download test on 2.4g and it managed a magnificent 31.98 Mbps, 5g hit a breathtaking19.8.

Something is obviously amiss, either a broken Superhub or USB receiver, I've complained in the forum several times but a VM watcher hasn't commented, I would ring 150 if I could be sure I would get a person who has technical knowledge rather than a crib sheet.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi davethegeo

Welcome back to the community

Sorry to hear that your experiencing intermittent wireless connection.

I've run few checks on your connection, the line and hub is showing as fine. The network segment is running healthy and stable.

I appreciate that there has been no new devices added to your network, however there could be interference from possibly a neighbour's router broadcasting on the same channel. Have you tried to change the channel to see if that improves the connection?

Let me know how you get on
Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
davethegeo
Joining in
Message 4 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi Samantha,

Yes I've changed channel and done all the usual stuff. At least my connection to the outside World is now stable thanks to your Engineer.

But...WiFi still drops out and I see no interference from anywhere else - using various WIFi scanners. I can also often not connecto to the Superhub's admin interface via Wifi although a LAN connection is no problem. I still suspect that Superhub is the problem as all probs disappear when I reboot it.

Cheers

Dave

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply and trying the channel change, I appreciate it.

Are you currently using another router connected to the Super Hub or any power line adaptors? Have you tried to connect say just one device maybe a phone or tablet directly to the Super Hub's wireless to see if that continues to drop connection?

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
davethegeo
Joining in
Message 6 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Yup! Tried that by simplifying everything but the problem still continues - esp not being able to access the admin interface over WiFi when LAN is OK.
Cheers
Dave
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave

Thanks for getting back in touch.

I've sent you a PM (blue envelope, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please. Once you have replied I can get this issue resolved for you.

Speak soon

Sam

0 Kudos
CambridgeChris
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 28
Flag for a moderator

I have a similar problem.

My tablet and my phone both report a strong wi-fi signal, but no internet connection.

This started today - I haven't seen the problem before.

The superhub is in a good, central position (under a wooden desh).

WiFi Analyser app shows a strong signal, no strong interfering channels from other users.

Meanwhile, my wired PC has internet connection OK as normal.

Should I ask Virgin to replace my Superhub?

0 Kudos
CambridgeChris
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 28
Flag for a moderator

See the previous post - rebooting the superhub solved the problem - for a few minutes. 

Then my tablet was back to "Connected - no Internet".

This behavior is totally new - so I would strongly suspect a fault in the superhub.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi CambridgeChris,

Thanks for posting!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your WiFi connection.

I've located your account and run some diagnostics on your equipment. I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of the screen) so I can get this sorted out for you.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos