Menu
bchamp62
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Superhub V Apple Airport Extreme

HI Guys.

Quick question for anyone technical enough. I am considering using the SH 3.0 in modem mode to boost WiFi signal around the house (already using Devolo Wifi  500's adaptors)

Would I benefit from an Apple Airport Extreme. Realising that both use  802.11ac, i am unsure if it will be money well spent.

Has anyone come across this, or can advise a fast unto date router ??

Household wifi speeds are good on the ground floor, but degrade immensely  upstairs. I have disabled the 2.4Ghz frequency in the modem to see if this improves. Signal tests upstairs give as low as 10mbps while downstairs I an in over the 100 mbps, and 180 mbps in the room where the SH is located. Theres nothing interfering with the signal, and my house is a new build,so signal should penetrate through easily.

Paying and receiving 217mbps form VM.

Any advise most welcome

Brian.

0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub V Apple Airport Extreme

Disabling 2.4ghz is not a good idea, as this has the better range than 5ghz does, it is able to penetrate walls and obstacles far better than 5ghz can, so keep it active, in regards to getting another router there are better routers the ones with external antennas are better for range, I use the netgear nighthawk R8000 router and I think it is superb so I can personally recommend that one to you.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-R8000-100UKS-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-Wireless/dp/B00TDV2IS4/ref=sr_1_1?i...

David

0 Kudos
bchamp62
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ah okay, never knew 5 Ghz cannot go through walls ? Got this info form You tube a guy called Sim UK. All trial and error.

I'll enable the 2.4 Ghz next time i go log in. Looking at the Netgear R8000. Think i will bit the bullet and head off to PC world.

Thanks for the advice

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Running Hub3 in modem mode with 2 AirPort Extremes, current model in router mode and previous model in bridge mode. No problems with network at all, lots of ports forwarded on the Extreme, 16 devices on WiFi, numerous Raspberry Pi's, cameras and two NAS boxes. Abroad a lot and easily access all my devices.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@bchamp62

What you want to do in modem mode willl work. I've done it complete with Devolo Powerlines. I should explain that using an AE was just to prove a point for someone else. There are better routers than the AE in terms of what you can do with the router.

I currently use the ASUS RT-AC68U. The Netgear you're looking at is fine as well based on user reports.

As regards 2.4GHz, do leave it switched on as advised by Devious. 5GHz does penetrate walls, but not as well as 2.4GHz; reason is that the 5GHz wavelength, being smaller, allows the signal to be more easily absorbed by the fabric.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
bchamp62
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Bought and installed the Netgear X6 Nighthawk Tri-band router. Swapped the VM installation point to the centre of the house removed all the Devolo's. Was able to use two android boxes at the same time, with 1 being live. Happy now with all the speeds that i am seeing.

Time will tell, but its a shame VM don't give better equipment to customers. Think its a bit of a scam paying for 200 mbps and not getting that over wifi. They should advise more professionally when installing. I would leave it there was a better ISP ??

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

bchamp62 wrote:

<SNIP>

Time will tell, but its a shame VM don't give better equipment to customers. Think its a bit of a scam paying for 200 mbps and not getting that over wifi. They should advise more professionally when installing. I would leave it there was a better ISP ??

You won't find a better ISP; doesn't mean that VM is best just that none are better than the other in respect of your wireless debate.

It's hardly a scam to offer 200Mbps at the modem given that VM didn't build your house and thus can't assure you of full WiFi penetration.  Their Hub 3 is a cheap get-you-going device and you cannot expect to get 200 meg through normal walls on 5GHz.  You sort of acknowledge that because you've moved everything to the centre of the house.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
bchamp62
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry but have to disagree. VM need to be more involved and explain the facts to those who are not aware.

My house is newly built and 1 separating wall is a dry wall type. So that should not be a problem with any Wifi frequency. I was running both frequencies until 2 days ago when i changed to 5Ghz only for a trial.

My Superhub was delivered by post, on an upgrade with self installation. Great speeds in the main living room, but elsewhere seen as low as 7mbps. My point is that a person or persons unfamiliar with the set up and performance of Wifi, think they are getting the speeds that they are paying for. VM should point this outing and in an ideal world run full tests. But that would take up to much time ands costs would be enormous. So that wont happen. 

Another point is that if I contact tech support and tell them I now have further wifi issues, they will not probably not discuss as its not VM equipment ??

Seems to me that VM need to supply decent equipment, not just a get you going hub.

Anyhow I'm happy now and i thank you both all for the valuable comments.

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos