Menu
Evanss45
Tuning in
Message 1 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 keeps dropping out in modem mode

Hi

Since upgrading 2 weeks ago I had a super hub 3 fitted. It's used in modem mode with my apple time capsule used as the router. There's never been any issues with the super hub 2 but superhub 3 keeps disconnecting every half an hour or so. Disrupting streaming and gaming which is starting to really frustrate me.

I've spoken to the Indian call centres a few times and I'm getting nowhere fast.

Are there any known issues or fixes I can implement plse?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
BrokenHope
Dialled in
Message 2 of 71
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Superhub 3 keeps dropping out in modem mode

The only fix atm is to use router mode or downgrade to a super hub 2/ac
0 Kudos
BrokenHope
Dialled in
Message 6 of 71
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Messing with the TC won't change anything, loads of us are having the issue, the common hardware seems to be the SH3 in modem mode connected to an Arris CMTS.
0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 7 of 71
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I, like use use modem mode with an Apple Router. I have had some success with turning the hub3 off for 5 minutes and then on again, seems to 're-balance' the circuit. It then stays alright for a number of days and then goes rogue again.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
SanderC
Up to speed
Message 8 of 71
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have a Hub 3 and an Apple TC, I use the Hub in router mode and have the TC in a remote part of the house, connected via Powerline adaptors, set up in bridge mode.

I use the Hub to provide Wifi for my MBA and phones etc, and use the TC to provide wifi for my Apple TVs streaming HD films from my PC which is connected via an ethernet cable. It is also connected to the TC wifi for streaming

I have just watched a High Def Film lasting 2+hours with no dropouts jitters of anything.

I have changed the names of all wifi streams so that they don't clashWIFI.jpg

VM25 & VM255 are the 2.4 & 5GHz networks from the Hub this is set to channel 36 by default

VM25A & VM255A are from the Apple TC this is set to auto channels

VM25N & VM255N are from a netgear wifi solution to ensure that the garden gets excellent coverage this is set to Channel 60.

As you can see signal strength is good throughout the house.

Hope this information is useful  

All Replies
BrokenHope
Dialled in
Message 2 of 71
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The only fix atm is to use router mode or downgrade to a super hub 2/ac
0 Kudos
Evanss45
Tuning in
Message 3 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I had a feeling that might it might be hardware related. It's only getting worse, making online play and stream v frustrating.

0 Kudos
SanderC
Up to speed
Message 4 of 71
Flag for a moderator

you need to set up your TC not to sleep whilst connected to the internet
0 Kudos
Evanss45
Tuning in
Message 5 of 71
Flag for a moderator

I don't think I can change any settings when it's in modem mode can I? Should I jump back into router mode and have a look from there?

Cheers
0 Kudos
BrokenHope
Dialled in
Message 6 of 71
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Messing with the TC won't change anything, loads of us are having the issue, the common hardware seems to be the SH3 in modem mode connected to an Arris CMTS.
0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 7 of 71
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I, like use use modem mode with an Apple Router. I have had some success with turning the hub3 off for 5 minutes and then on again, seems to 're-balance' the circuit. It then stays alright for a number of days and then goes rogue again.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
SanderC
Up to speed
Message 8 of 71
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have a Hub 3 and an Apple TC, I use the Hub in router mode and have the TC in a remote part of the house, connected via Powerline adaptors, set up in bridge mode.

I use the Hub to provide Wifi for my MBA and phones etc, and use the TC to provide wifi for my Apple TVs streaming HD films from my PC which is connected via an ethernet cable. It is also connected to the TC wifi for streaming

I have just watched a High Def Film lasting 2+hours with no dropouts jitters of anything.

I have changed the names of all wifi streams so that they don't clashWIFI.jpg

VM25 & VM255 are the 2.4 & 5GHz networks from the Hub this is set to channel 36 by default

VM25A & VM255A are from the Apple TC this is set to auto channels

VM25N & VM255N are from a netgear wifi solution to ensure that the garden gets excellent coverage this is set to Channel 60.

As you can see signal strength is good throughout the house.

Hope this information is useful  

Evanss45
Tuning in
Message 9 of 71
Flag for a moderator

So it seems the morale of this story is to keep the superhub 3 out of modem mode and use it as the router?  It's a little frustrating that after all this time newer is still not better and that i should have kept my superhub 2.

Thanks for the advice and i'll try and implement this setup myself.

Lets just hope when the new TiVo comes out it'll be a little more "tried and tested" so i don't regret "upgrading" to that!!

0 Kudos
mstombs
Superfast
Message 10 of 71
Flag for a moderator

I have used SH3 in modem mode for ages - with Asus router - is the issue only in combination with Apple TC?

When first tried in router mode was not impressed with wireless range or inability to change LAN address, or lack of working UPNP (now fixed).

[edit] I see I am just lucky at the moment - plenty of reports of 36 minute comms breaks

0 Kudos