Menu
pgould1972
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 channel width.

Firstly, my lan speed is 204mbps which is great but WIFI speed with lots of tinkering in advance settings and splitting 2.4 and 5 ssids is poor. Using a wifi analyser, it says that my speed tops 70 on 5ghz and  45 on 2.4ghz. This is ok but I always used t get max wifi speeds or at least 70% of them.

On Superhub 2ac you could have channel widths using different channels, so I used 13 and 9 simultaneously on 2.4 and 36 and 40 on 5mhz. This is not available on superhub 3, you can select channel width on 20/40/80 mhz but is this supposed to transmit the signal on 3 channels, it certainly does not! Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. Is my WIFI speed being thottled? My devices are modern by the way. The wifi analyser says ny link speed is 150mhz, ehat does this mean? I'm on the 200 BB package. Thanks!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Superhub 3 channel width.

Assuming the link speed has not been reduced due to environmental conditions, then it looks like your wireless adapter is not AC capable as JB66 has said, and furthermore, it looks like it is only capable of one wireless stream.

A Wireless stream is capable of carrying roughly 75Mbps per 20Mhz wide channel, 150Mbps using two bonded channels forming a 40Mhz wide channel. These are theoretical link speeds in one direction, actual speeds will be 50 to 65% of the link speed due to the half duplex nature of wireless and the overheads it carries The Link speed you see is the maximum theoretical speed the connection can support in that particular wireless environment. So, 70Mbps is a respectable speed for a single stream card. Using the 40Mhz channel is not advisable on the 2.4Ghz band as it takes up  half of the available wireless spectrum making it more susceptible to wireless interference.

Wireless AC can bond 4 20Mhz channels to form a 80Mhz channel capable of a maximum link speed of 433Mbps per wireless stream. The 2.4Ghz band is only 83Mhz wide, so it cannot realistically support AC, so the wider 5Ghz band is used.

All Replies
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like your device is not wireless AC and just wireless N
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Assuming the link speed has not been reduced due to environmental conditions, then it looks like your wireless adapter is not AC capable as JB66 has said, and furthermore, it looks like it is only capable of one wireless stream.

A Wireless stream is capable of carrying roughly 75Mbps per 20Mhz wide channel, 150Mbps using two bonded channels forming a 40Mhz wide channel. These are theoretical link speeds in one direction, actual speeds will be 50 to 65% of the link speed due to the half duplex nature of wireless and the overheads it carries The Link speed you see is the maximum theoretical speed the connection can support in that particular wireless environment. So, 70Mbps is a respectable speed for a single stream card. Using the 40Mhz channel is not advisable on the 2.4Ghz band as it takes up  half of the available wireless spectrum making it more susceptible to wireless interference.

Wireless AC can bond 4 20Mhz channels to form a 80Mhz channel capable of a maximum link speed of 433Mbps per wireless stream. The 2.4Ghz band is only 83Mhz wide, so it cannot realistically support AC, so the wider 5Ghz band is used.

pgould1972
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for a very good explanation of how things work. You are correct in that they are not .ac compliant devices but previously, I have returned faster speeds. It is this point that I don't understand. Is anyone here getting 150mbps+ via WIFI? Thank you again.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Folk with wireless AC do, my Samsung note 4 shows 204
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Ditto that.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

You can pick up wireless AC USB dongle for around £20

pgould1972
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Would the dongle help my Vaio laptop achieve faster speeds?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Very likely, depending on the model of Viao (we are assuming it has a single channel wireless adapter from what you said so far) and your wireless environment is fairly clean. You will need to disable the wireless adapter on the Viao and let the dongle handle the wireless.

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I have a more expensive dongle that is able to tral a USB cable ½m away from the PC for better propagation.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)