Menu
mdoran
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 and TP-Link Extenders

Hi.

I'm new to VM and am having difficulty adding some TP-Link wi-fi extenders to my wireless network.  Instructions are that once I've pressed the WPS button on the hub (for 2 seconds) and the wi-fi button on the extender it should take roughly 15 seconds for the process to complete and the extenders to clone my wi-fi.  At the mo this is not happening. Even if I leave both to try and sync, the tp-link just doesn't want to connect.

The router and extender are in the same room (about 5 ft away from each other), firmware on the extender has been updated etc.  Am I doing something really stupid or is the process wrong?

Many thanks for reading

Mike 

0 Kudos
mdoran
Tuning in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 and TP-Link Extenders

Replying to my own question Smiley Happy

For anyone else having difficulty connecting anything to the hub via the WPS button, don't bother.  Log into the router - Advanced Settings - WPS and scroll down and click ADD CLIENT.  As soon as I used this procedure I connected to both my extenders within 15 seconds.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey there mdoran,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Great to see new members!

I really appreciate that you've updated your thread to share your resolution, I'm sure your advice will come in very handy to other members.

Thanks again for posting, I'm hoping you'll stick around and get involved in some of our other conversations.

Catch you again soon,

Take care.  

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Blinkie
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

HI I have been looking for a solution for this for a long time. I was about to give up and buy the netgears from VM when I found this. I have tried this and after A Client it is just hung up on Connecting. I went to basics and performed a factory reset on the TP-Link Powerline adaptors. 
 So after performing a factory reset then what next please? 

0 Kudos
TrevorBurdett
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm an old geeza, I recently upgraded to the super hub 3 and need to use a TP-Link extender, as the construction of our property means there is NO signal outside the room where the hub is!!
I tried pairing them using the designated buttons, (as I did with the previous hub), but it doesn't work?
So, how do you 'log in to your router' I don't understand?
Could some one talk me through this please?
Thanking you kindly

Trevor

0 Kudos
gsi66
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Solution is to manually configure. I have a Virgin superhub 3 and the powerline AV1200 wifi extender. Here's what I did to solve...

Plug powerline adaptor (one without the wifi button) near your router and attach RJ45 ethernet cable to a free port on your superhub. Plug in the powerline wifi adaptor into another socket on the same electrical ring main. Press the PAIR button onn the adaptor and then on the wifi extender. After some time, lights should go green (first two lights on wifi extender should be green). All as per instructions so far.

Using your laptop, use your browser to surf to your Virgin superhub. Recommend hardwiring your laptop to your superhub (in case you screw up the wifi). Connection details are on your superhub. For me that's surfing to 192.168.0.1. On the Virgin superhub web interface go to 'Advanced Settings->DHCP'. Hit 'Refresh' button on DHCP Lease Table and look for row entry for your powerline. Is probably very similar to TL-WPA8630P. Get the corresponding IP address from the 'IP Address' column - should look like 192.168.0.20/24. Open a new browser window and surf to that IP address, it should take you to the powerline adaptor web interface. Default login is username admin, password admin.

In your superhub window, click on 'Advanced Settings->Wireless->Wireless Signal' section. You should see two sections, one for 2.4Ghz wifi and one for 5Ghz wifi.  Note down the settings so you can put it back if goes wrong. Each section has a channel generally auto. I flicked each channel on to 'Manual' and picked the channel so that it's set. e.g. I have 2.4Ghz channel as channel 1 (channel width 20Mhz), with 5Ghz channel as channel 36 (channel width 20/40/80Mhz). Punch 'Apply Changes', your wifi will drop then come back. At this stage, you have hardcoded the channel numbers for each of your wifi networks.

In your superhub window, surf to 'Advanced Settings->Wireless->Security'. Note down the settings in case of dire need. You should hopefully see your SSID and security details for your 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi - especially your wifi password. On mine, I keep the SSID identical between the networks (means part of the 5Ghz config is greyed out) and my security is WPA2-PSK for both.

On your powerline window, click on 'Wireless->Settings'. Note down the settings for the 2.4GHz pane and 5Ghz pane so you can put them back if needed. You can pick from two panes for 2.4Ghz and other is 5Ghz. Change the SSID, security and channel width fields in both panes to match the corresponding Virgin superhub ones. Ensure the SSID, security and especially passwords are the same and correct. However, for the channel, ensure you choose a different channel. For example, on virgin superhub my 2.4Ghz channel is 1 but I use channel 7 on the powerline 2.4Ghz. In the 5GHz configs, my superhub is using chanel 36 whereas my powerline is on channel 44. Hit 'Save' button.

You should now find that you can unplug your powerline and put in your desired 'wifi less' location. Note: it has to still be on the same electrical ring main.

To test, move a device (e.g. android/iphone is good because you can see signal strength) between locations. You should see the signal weaken as you get out of range of superhub, then re-attach to powerline wifi as you near that device - and vice versa when moving back towards your superhub. No change of SSID is required on your phone - should be seamless as it will auto re-acquire the channel with the best signal.

Hope that helps.

GSi 

TrevorBurdett
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all your help and advice.
I eventually got it sorted with having extender and router sat right in front of each other!!!
Such a pa-lava!!! :/

0 Kudos
Dredger
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry guys I still get the same problem. New superhub 3 with TL WPA4220 extender.

Just like you, Cloning via the buttons doesn't work.

However with logging onto the hub administration and choosing add client also doesn't pick anything up.

Went through all the process of setting up the extender with the same SSID name and range with different channel but the extender will not let me change its network password !

Had no problem with a tp link hub I bought a few years ago because the range on the old virgin was dreadful. I really am at wits end... do I bin the virgin hub and go back to the tp link ?

0 Kudos
Dredger
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry guys I still get the same problem. New superhub 3 with TL WPA4220 extender.

Just like you, Cloning via the buttons doesn't work.

However with logging onto the hub administration and choosing add client also doesn't pick anything up.

Went through all the process of setting up the extender with the same SSID name and range with different channel but the extender will not let me change its network password !

Had no problem with a tp link hub I bought a few years ago because the range on the old virgin was dreadful. I really am at wits end... do I bin the virgin hub and go back to the tp link ?

0 Kudos
Robert131
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - followed this on the http://192.168.0.1 site and connected in seconds. Thanks for posting!
0 Kudos