Menu
DJN1
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 Printer Loses Wifi Connection

Help please!  Since switching from a BT Wifi router to Virgin Media's Superhub 3, my Brother Printer (which used to work just fine with my BT router) now goes offline to my Mac within 2 minutes of connecting the printer to the Superhub's Wifi.  I've spent days liaising with Brother on this, but with no solution.  The only thing that's changed in my set-up is the Wifi router.  Does anyone know, Virgin Media in particular, what might be causing this problem and how I can fix it please?  It is very frustrating as I can no longer print.

I'm also experiencing the other niggles I notice are being aired such as device names being switched between devices on the Superhub 3, and very slow loading of devices on the Superhub's admin pages.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 Printer Loses Wifi Connection

Hi there DJN1,

Thanks for taking the time to post back on the community.

My apologies that you are having issues with your Brother printer connecting to the network. I can imagine how annoying this must be.

With the Hub 3 it broadcasts the both networks, 2.4 and 5 GHz, as one. To make it easier for your devices to connect to the network, it may be worth separating these with different names and password. 

Once you have done this and are still getting the same issue you can try to change the wireless channel to see if that helps.

Does the printer disconnect if it is connected through an Ethernet cable?

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
DJN1
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Sam,

I tried splitting the networks and connecting explicitly to the 2.4G signal.  No difference I'm afraid.  The printer connected OK for a couple of minutes, but once it had 'gone offline', I could not reconnect to it.

On wired ethernet, the printer works fine, showing as Idle until a print is sent which it then prints.

Any other suggestions please?

Regards

Dave

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Dave,

Really sorry to hear about the connection fault experienced.

Have you tried adjusting the wireless settings as suggested by Sam?

It may also be worth resetting the printer and connecting this to our WiFi from scratch.

Let me know how you get on with this.

Speak soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
DJN1
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I tried adjusting the signal and resetting the wireless.  Nothing worked.  The Brother technical team have advised me that this is a software issue within the Superhub and that you are aware of it and working on it.  Can you confirm that this is the case please?  Regards.  Dave

DJN1
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

AlanLS
Tuning in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I am having the exact same problem with an Epson PX720WD printer.  it used to work fine with SH2.  Now i have SH3 it will connect but then disconnects after a period of time and states that it is "offline" (despite the printer still showing it is connected to wifi.  Both computer and printer are on 2.4G which has separate name from 5G).  The only way to reconnect is to switch the printer off and on again and then reinstall the printer driver.  this works for a few hours and then back to square one as it shows it offline again.  i'm sure the problem is the SH3 as it all used to be fine and nothing else has changed.  AlanLS

DJN1
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Alan, yes that seems to be the same problem to me too.  Still waiting on a response from Virgin Media!

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hello both,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having connecting your printer, I've seen a few posts like this recently. I wonder if there's incompatibility issues with the Hub and some printers. Are you able to manually install a driver update from the manufacturers website, this might help.

Catch you again soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
AlanLS
Tuning in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

i have the latest drivers but it hasn't made a difference.  Still keeps on dropping wifi connection.  Never used to be like this.  AlanLS

0 Kudos