Menu
gfmajchrzak
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 DNS for local network (LAN) not working

Hi All,

I received the superhub 3 a few weeks ago, since the first day i been having issues with this useless white brick.

I have a normal local network with a few Nas drives and 2 or 3 wired computers + a wireless printer. Since I started using this superhub the devices can find each other, i can't print and there's no drives in the network.

Of course Virgin media support was useless, suggesting me to leave only connected 1 machine to the network, great idea to diagnose a network.

So in short, i found that the white brick is trying to resolve names of my internal network on the internet DNS server:

------------------------------------------------------

nslookup mybooklive

Server: cache1.service.virginmedia.net
Address: 194.168.4.100

*** cache1.service.virginmedia.net can't find mybooklive: Non-existent domain

-----------------------------------------------------

Tracing route to mybooklive [192.168.0.20]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 64 ms 76 ms 56 ms MYBOOKLIVE [192.168.0.20]

Trace complete.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone has any idea how to configure this, in this useless white brick?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 DNS for local network (LAN) not working

This does not have to be a VM problem but more your PC setup for file and printer sharing its impossible to say if the hub 3 is at fault or not because its just terrible.

It will be faster to use your own router and then to troubleshoot from there as likely its a setup issue as file and printer sharing has this way of not working the way it should as seem by many people.

Their is DNS and then there is MS network discovery by name thats why nslookup will not work I find it odd that tracing works but then the way windows handle DNS lookups redirected through svchost.exe so it likely uses MS network discovery as its lookup along with DNS besides all that the ping is high.

0 Kudos
gfmajchrzak
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Legacy1, I have diagnose this with a different router and connecting the superhub in modem only mode. Everything works fine and the name resolution is solved in the router:

---------------------------------------------------------

nslookup mybooklive
Server: SkyRouter.Home
Address: 192.168.0.10

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: mybooklive.Home
Addresses: ::7fdf:b004:41:0:7755:d4d0

-------------------------------------------------

Also the ping look normal with this router:

----------------------------------------------------

tracert mybooklive

Tracing route to mybooklive [192.168.0.11]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms MYBOOKLIVE [192.168.0.11]

Trace complete.

-------------------------------------

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

gfmajchrzak wrote:

Hi Legacy1, I have diagnose this with a different router and connecting the superhub in modem only mode. Everything works fine and the name resolution is solved in the router:

great problem solved! 

0 Kudos
gfmajchrzak
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Not really, the 2nd router is a borrowed one, and the wifi network won't work in modem mode. so unless VM want's to pay for a wifi router i still have the same problem.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

VM are only interested in connecting you to the internet they are not interested in your home network which is down to you but if you want to be hopeful that VM will fix this in their router mode you can wait...could be a long wait...as I said the router mode by VM is terrible so I would suggest looking into getting your own router. 

0 Kudos
gfmajchrzak
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your ideas, but i think if they are providing a router to connect more than 1 device they should be able to comply with this. 

This community forum is full of similar issues, so it's not my network.

Now anyone else, had this issues and was able to solve it, with out buying more hardware or waiting for eternity?

Thanks

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well ISP does not stand for home network and internet service provider but this is the problem with ISP doing a router mode with NAT that has the base of doing a home network along with everyone wanting stuff that other routers do... where will it end to the point where ISP are fed up with little problems that they themselves caused for us to complain about how router mode should work and break internet support to cause more problems then trying to offer a simple router mode option for many devices to get to the internet.

So if you expect VM to fix this in their router mode then thats your choice.

0 Kudos
crypticc
Superfast
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi -

this is an old thread but #1 hit for this issue in Google.

To tell if you get total failure or just for www. addresses go into command line and type "ping 8.8.8.8" <CR>  which is the Google DNS.

Does that work?  Good that means you have internet, just not DNS.

Then again in command line type "services.msc" <CR>

Scan the list andd right click on DHCP and restart.

That didn't work for me, but while there I restarted DNS services and that did work.

Regards

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------
TiVo video output scaling-bugs

Tivo-scaling-bug

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

0 Kudos
versechoruscurs
Just joined
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm adding to this. I've just ripped out my Superhub 3 and will be sending it back to VM, keeping the Superhub 2. Why? Becuase the Superhub 2 can manage my home network. As for "ISPs don't have to manage your home network" VM seem to have gone a long way to actually strip out standard router functionality.

0 Kudos