Menu
theblippie
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3.0 upgrade causing problems

Hi,

I received my new Super hub 3.0 yesterday, to go along with the upgrade from a 100mb to a 150mb connection. I have internet connection, but my main PC is actually testing (via speedtest.net) at around 90mb, far below the 150 that was the reason for the upgrade! My phone can get up to 146mb so far, using the 5g wifi, but in both instances, the network connection seems to drop, not for long, but enough to be disruptive.Windows 10 shows the network access icon in the bottom right task bar showing a red cross for a few seconds, then contact is re-established. I play a couple of online games, and can't do so with such an intermittent connection, as losing it for 5 seconds is enough for you to crash and burn in an online race! My little boy is also affected, as we let him watch educational videos on a tablet, and the disconnects are causing the videos to lag. Could anyone advise on any fixes for this? I realise logs would be helpful, but i'm not sure which ones to post -so if you're kind enough to help, let me know which logs you need and I will post. Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
theblippie
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Superhub 3.0 upgrade causing problems

Right guys and girls, it's early days, but the problems seem to have resolved themselves.

The intermittent disconnections appear to have stopped. To achieve this i just switched the router off a couple of times, waited a minute, turned it on, left it a couple of minutes, then turned my pc on. After 3 restarts I got the green flashing light on the front of the hub, which I gather is some sort of config, and it has been a lot more stable since.

As for the speed - It was indeed the fault of the old Cat5 cable i've been using for years. Before going to the shop to buy a new one, I had a quick dig and found a Cat5e, so now we're showing 156mb on speednet and i'm a happy bunny Smiley Happy

One other thing which is worth mentioning, in case it helps someone, is that its worth going into your network card in device manger (Mines an onboard Realtek Gigabit Ethernet), under network adapters, going to the properties, advanced tab, and then the "Speed and Duplex" option. If this is set to auto negotiation, then it shouldn't cause an issue - however it does have options for 10mb and 100mb too, so if your having speed issues, its worth checking this isn't set to the 10 or 100mb options.

Thanks fora ll your help - this issue appears to have been resolved.

0 Kudos

All Replies
WoodyG
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Mine has been doing this tonight. I got my Superhub 3 a week ago and the guy tested my connection at the same time and said everything was perfect.

I lose my connection for 10 seconds once or twice an hour.

When this happens I see the green light on the front of the modem come on. It goes off once the connection starts working again.

I use mine in modem mode and I gather there is a known problem with this? It hasn't been this bad on other evenings although I have had disconnects from games and seen the green light on those other days.

Is yours in modem mode?

theblippie
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the initial replies... I've done a bit more digging, and i've noted that when i run the diagnostics on the router gui i get:

Wired client on port 1 is running at 100 Mbps.
 Device connected on port 1 is running at a lower speed of 100 Mbps and is not utilizing the full available speed.

I'm using onboard ethernet adapter, Realtek PCIe GBE family controller. The speed and duplex was set to auto negotiation, but I've set it to the 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex option. I would add that the performance and d/c's are the same before and after this change. I didn't get the ethernet cable with the new router like I should have, according to the box, so I am currently on the one I used previously.. but this was still capable of showing just over 100mb on speedtest. I'm struggling to hit 80 at the moment, and the constant mini-disconnects are really annoying! If it helps, I just tried posting a word .doc file to facebook, which seemed to cause a disconnect event each time I clicked the link to choose a file... but when I went to my start menu to load up and run wireshark, it started working again... typical computer Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

2 separate problems i think

as said above if not clearly the 80+ meg limit is likely a low spec lan cable - cat5e or cat6 is needed for higher speeds

the connection drop would sound to be the port flapping problem thats well documented

post some levels from the hub

log into superhub - 192.168.0.1 - DON'T SIGN IN, - and post the downstream and upstream figures

Tony
theblippie
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Cable Modem Status Item Status Comments

Acquired Downstream Channel(Hz)
Ranged Upstream Channel(Hz)
Provisioning State

Downstream bonded channels Channel Frequency(Hz) Power(dBμV) SNR(dB) Modulation Channel ID

12990000008.437.6256 qam17
23230000008.537.6256 qam20
33150000008.538.6256 qam19
43070000008.438.6256 qam18
52910000007.938.6256 qam16
6283000000838.6256 qam15
7275000000837.3256 qam14
8267000000837.6256 qam13
92590000007.937.6256 qam

Upstream bonded channels Channel ID Frequency(Hz) Modulation Power(dBμV) Mode Channel Bandwidth(Hz) Symbol Rate (ksps)

146200000ATDMA4016 qam64000005120
332600000ATDMA4016 qam64000005120

Thanks for all the responses so far .

0 Kudos
theblippie
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The previous copy and paste wasn't too clear, so this should hopefully show 2 screen clips of the data. 

DS061016.JPGUS061016.JPG

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

they are fine and the fact your phone gets 140+ says th input is ok for speed so we are back to a poor lan cable or the like for the slow speed - what colour are the lights on the lan ports that are running at 80

the cutting out is a seperate matter in my mind - there is the issue of port flapping - have a search - have not followed that totally - it happens in modem mode certainly - dont think it affects router mode - what mode are you in - but as said i have not followed the 50 odd pages in that thread so it may affect both modes under certain conditions

if it is that users have convinced retentions to re activate SH2's - do you still have the old hub - if so which one - afaik the SH2 is fine on 150

Tony
0 Kudos
theblippie
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi, the SH 3.0 is on router mode at the moment. I do still have my previous router, however I think its a SH 1.0... product code VMDG480. Looking at this model online, it seems to state that it supports 1000mbps LAN connection, so I'm a bit confused as to why a new router was necessary. I'll get a new cable, as suggested... I'm just not convinced this will solve the dropping problem. They are only short drops, only lasting up to 10 seconds, but they are quite frequent, and seem to tie in with activity through the router - I've noticed it happen when I click on links on websites etc, and get the dinosaur screen to show the page cannot be loaded.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
theblippie
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Right guys and girls, it's early days, but the problems seem to have resolved themselves.

The intermittent disconnections appear to have stopped. To achieve this i just switched the router off a couple of times, waited a minute, turned it on, left it a couple of minutes, then turned my pc on. After 3 restarts I got the green flashing light on the front of the hub, which I gather is some sort of config, and it has been a lot more stable since.

As for the speed - It was indeed the fault of the old Cat5 cable i've been using for years. Before going to the shop to buy a new one, I had a quick dig and found a Cat5e, so now we're showing 156mb on speednet and i'm a happy bunny Smiley Happy

One other thing which is worth mentioning, in case it helps someone, is that its worth going into your network card in device manger (Mines an onboard Realtek Gigabit Ethernet), under network adapters, going to the properties, advanced tab, and then the "Speed and Duplex" option. If this is set to auto negotiation, then it shouldn't cause an issue - however it does have options for 10mb and 100mb too, so if your having speed issues, its worth checking this isn't set to the 10 or 100mb options.

Thanks fora ll your help - this issue appears to have been resolved.

0 Kudos