Menu
omendata
Superfast
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3.0 - Spurious "Steerlist" items showing up in Wireless filter list

Got the new Superhub 3.0 and must admit not very impressed.
A lot of the functionality of the superhub 2.0 is missing.
Most of the menus seem to have been shrunk down with many faciltities missing especially in the security side of things!

I digress however - in the wireless filter list i am getting duplicates of my actual devices with a name of "steerlist" and invalid value in the wireless radio section - has anyone else noticed this - bug?

Device name MAC address Wireless radio Delete
steerlist          **:**:**:**:**:** Invalid Value

Duplicates of my actual devices but seem to be one per 2.4ghz and one per 5ghz.

deanchapman
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3.0 - Spurious "Steerlist" items showing up in Wireless filter list

Yes, I have it too - First time I noticed it

Probably another poorly tested bit of firmware released by some ISP who knows little about Code & testing and SDLC

Not sure what it's affecting... I'll try a power cycle.  Likelihood it'll be fixed in another firmware push which will undoubtedly introduce yet another bug from some poorly(un) tested code

And VM may wonder why we put these things into Modem-mode and use "proper" routers from a "proper" IT company

C'mon Virgin Media, sort yourselves out - Go and kick those developers, testers and release managers up the @rse and ask them to do their job properly

omendata
Superfast
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3.0 - Spurious "Steerlist" items showing up in Wireless filter list

lol exactly what i thought.

As an ex systems programmer myself its a joke how modern so called programmers write code.

The days of 32k and 8 bit registers having to write your own floating point maths routines in machine code and trying to squeeze code into a small amount of memory made us good programmers like Jeff Minter and Matt Newman , Orlando. Now they have so much memory and easy tools for development the code is a sprawling mess of gargantuan code - just look at windows as an example.,

Its amazing the amount of errors and problems in software these days that could be found with on a few days black box testing - I makes you think that there is actually NO testing done at all other than an hour or two!

When i was programming computer games our company US Gold used to employ a team of games testers working 12 hours a day testing before we pushed out a build!

Then we have the Tivo box with its pathetic 512mb memory and sooooo slow interface - poor old Cisco I dont think they were given the right spec from NTL.

But thats management these days = natures way of removing morons from the productive cycle.

I think these Superhub3.0 are not on the fully updated firmware yet so we can but hope...

LaurenceGough
Dialled in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Same problem here. 30 odd steerlist showing. "Invalid Value" Clearly a bug. Having issues connecting new devices to the Notsosuperhub 3...

Virgin Media support is absolutely useless. I was cut off the first time by an automated system (even after restarting the Superhub 3 twice before calling) after ringing back again and being placed on hold for ages I spoke to someone who didn't have a single clue. She didn't even know about the Superhub 3 and Kept saying I would have to pay for "Gadget support" for a firmware bug on your own Superhub 3. I asked to be put through to a supervisor or manager and then she had the cheek of hanging up on me. When they don't understand why can't they escalate the call like any other decent company does? Please find attached a screenshot of the Superhub 3 issue. Looking online it appears I am not the only one. I have never used MAC filtering on this device. It is disabled. Clearly this is a bug. Please sort it. I do not expect to be treated this way as a paying customer. Absolutely infuriating customer service!

I am still trying to get through, been cut off once and now just been on hold for 20 mins plus so far... Not even spoke to anyone yet.

Virgin Media's view on Youtube streaming problems: http://i.imgur.com/LTzObOE.jpg
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

deanchapman wrote:

Yes, I have it too - First time I noticed it

.....C'mon Virgin Media, sort yourselves out - Go and kick those developers, testers and release managers up the @rse and ask them to do their job properly

Unfortunately nothing new here!   The SH3/VMDG505 has been released (white version - for beta trials since Sept2015, for pilot trials to community since late Oct2015) and these and majority of  "issues" raised have occurred since J3/J5/S/T and finally V firmware versions.

In the real world - disparaging repeated retorts against Public beta testers, Developers and grass roots CPE/New Products Team members  are  misplaced because it's senior marketing management/bean counters that evaluate the risk of releasing produc with known errors / issues / idio-syncracies /cosmetic abnomlies and not the grass roots Development/Level2 tech support that are often as equally frustrated as public beta triallists.

Of course ,in addition,   those (community and/or SU) Triallists on early limited public trials are equally restricted from  disclosing any factual evidential data to support the above because of implicit/explicit NDA restrictions that effectively prevent them from disclosing any useful info directly to the community.

During the last 7years one valued member of SU in this website's history has already recently been banned (just prior to Xmas) from participating in SU fora and future Trials by simply publishing firmware upgrade release notes.  No actual commercial sensitivity/risk what-so-ever but admittedly a technical infringement of our ToR/T&C's! 

Of course the more users that keep re-iteratiing this point  [gulp] then he probably won't be the last pseudo knight-errant to be crucified during this continuing crusade to support the VM serf-dom against asinine bean counter mentality of senior VM feudal management!   Smiley Tongue

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
omendata
Superfast
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Very true but im an ex systems programmer and used to write firmware like this from washing machines to Namco arcade machines and games developer from the good old days of US Gold and stuff was tested a lot better then than it is now due to the numerous compiled languages and of course as you have said other reasons.

I recently worked for a major financial company designing reconciliation software and more than one of the developers called the software a "piece of s**t" and we had so many guys leave because they just didnt enjoy working on it even though the office environment / facilities were good , the IT Manager was a complete moron - he actually removed a disk from my newly built SAN to send to our datacentre - he forgot our datacentre was running raid 10 so needed two disks - he then decided because it was during the Thai floods just to leave the disk out until prices went down - bearing in mind this is a company supplying software to all the major financial insittutions like Lloyds etc Meanwhile my newly built San was thrashing and all the virtual SQL servers were slow.

According to the head developer he left one day on holiday with the key for the TFS Gateway development system so none of the developers could access the code on the system on Monday morning - nice!

While i was on holiday his fix for the blackberry server not working was to switch it off and on every hour whilst i was on holiday for a week lol
He was so up himself and proud he refused to phone me and ask what the problem might be and i knew already it was the RIM gateway but because
he was such a nasty piece of work and treated everyone like a piece of dirt no one ever gave him any help !!!

Management as i said = Natures way of removing morons from the productive cycle.

cozmic1988
Superfast
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

A factory reset fixed this for me. They've not reappeared since.
PBou
Dialled in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This problem just hit me 3 days ago, lost most of my wifi connected service over 14 devices disconnected. 

Steerlist is now full of 90% of my home wifi devices and they wont connect just go into permanent wifi connect cycling.

I have done multiple hard resents with no fix. 

I came to Virgin 6 months ago on the promise of more bandwidth and stable fibre connection BUT its been a tale of woe...
to many problems and lost service, bad setup, engineers booked but dont come, useless helpdesk that are aware how bad the service is but try to divert issue. 

As a senior IT guy who has set up multiple network and service desk solutions I would FIRE all the senior staff responsible for this service joke.

0 Kudos