Menu
TheRookieGB
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 2 sudden lose of wifi password?

Hi

Virgin super hub 2 & apple extreme wifi access point.

4 x wifi SSIDS (2g & 4g)
All using same wifi password WPA security and apple extreme in bridge mode.

All been working fine for 2 years.

Then .... arrived home and none of my wifi devices, iPhone, laptop, now tv would connect to both the VM hub or my Apple Airport? Strange? Keeps asking for wifi password. Even if the super hub was faulty and needed a reboot surely I can connect to the separate Apple Airport wifi? It would just say it has no internet? But no still asks for password?

After several reboots of both and talking to VM who said that it was connected then not. I had to reset the wifi password and set the wifi channels to auto. I did this with my old laptop lan connected and a static ip. Finally got onto the menu.

After resetting the VM & Apple airport wifi passwords and setting the channels to auto it seemed all fine. Have had one slight issue half way through a movie with Apple TV saying it had lost connection prompting for password of wifi but atv restart fixed this.

Why? Why did BOTH VM hub and Apple airport forget or have a bad password? The apple airport is a separate piece of kit?

I did notice a what appeared a new HP envy printer on the network and my suspicion is a wifi channel conflict? Something messing with the wifi encryption?

Time will tell if this goes away. But very annoying.

The VM engineer was great and helped all the way through, he suggested the wifi password can become corrupted, something I have not heard of, if so why would my apple airport have the same issue?

Could it be DNS? Or wifi channel from new neighbours printer? Even when finally connected it seemed to take 10 mins to settle down as laptop/iPhone on new wifi psssword took 10 mins to bring up google page. All fine afterwards, YouTube streaming fine etc.

Any ideas? Really stuck why this happened.

A right pain to change the wifi password on multiple devices. More a pain when I have no idea why it happened.

Help? Advice, router failing?
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 2 sudden lose of wifi password?

Check the SSID's you have setup your devices to connect to, there is a small chance you may have accidentally added your neighbours so sometimes when the signal from their wifi is stronger then yours your device is trying to connect to theirs instead.

Although that doesn't explain the apple airport issues (not that I know anything about apple airport)

It would probably be a good idea to get one of the many wifi scanning apps for your phone and look at how the wifi channels around your are allocated around your house, and perhaps manually allocate yours in any free slots as sometime auto allocation can get it wrong.

The other alternative is that you were hacked somehow and someone messed with your passwords..

0 Kudos
TheRookieGB
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 2 sudden lose of wifi password?

Hi, thanks for the reply.

1. Account not hacked as passwords same as before until I changed them.

2. I did a channel scan about a year ago, changed the channels to free ones on 2.4 and 5ghz bands. These were static though and if the neighbours did get a new HP printer with wifi zone it may have classed with my fixed channels. Since changing to auto it seems better.

Just wondering if anyone had same issues and why airport had same issue. Whether it was a dns issue etc.

Also none of my devices were connected to the HP.

Cheers
0 Kudos