Menu
skyworm
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 2 WiFi Issues really getting annoying

Hi,

It seems just like so many other people on this forum, I have been getting WiFi issues with my Super Hub2 - I have rung customer service, and the lady I spoke to was adamant that there was nothing wrong with the router, but it was my fault and the equipments in my house. I am myself in IT, and it was quite hard taking in everything that was being said to me.

The issue is the same as other people are having: the Wifi keeps dropping or the speed becomes unusable. The Virgin 150 lady told me that that I had too many devices connected, when there was just 4/5 connected. I am having to reboot my hub almost every other day in order to be able to connect to the WiFi. The ethernet connection works ok, but nothing really uses it. We all just need to WiFi.

Can someone please urgently help with this? Maybe there is somehting wrong with my SuperHub now?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 2 WiFi Issues really getting annoying

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel. I would be aware the wireless scaner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

0 Kudos
skyworm
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

hi griffin,

I fully appreciate what you are saying below - as I mentioned, I would in IT myself, and I have done all the below several times - hence the annoying bit. Plus, looking at this community forum does show that this issue is quite ongoing with a lot of users. 

I've tried different channels several times, and took my time with it. My hub is central and even got an engineer some time back come to check and make sure it was well located. I can tell when the issue is not on my side, but when I keep being given excuses, then it does get annoying. I just tried a test now, and I am getting 22MBps on speedtest, when my line is 100MB.

I hope Virgin is reading this and will respond at some point!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Wireless interference is not confined to this forum, it is a global problem.

Being in IT you should know the importance of logical diagnosis, so I would have expected some info on the diagnostic steps you have taken beforehand, like the number of neighbouring networks the wireless scanner is picking up, the frequency band you are using, signal strengths etc, Without this information it would be hard to provide additional help as we don't know what you have tried, we are not mindreaders.

The only way to determine if you are not being affected by wireless interference would be to scan your environment with a spectrum analyser.

A VM Forum Team member should pick up the thread in about a week or so,

0 Kudos
skyworm
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate your input - i've already spent so much time talking to Virgin about everything I've done to minimise interference and taking it out of the equation as well, I am annoyed having to write it all down for the nth time e.g. I have moved the Superhub to multiple places in my house. With regards to wireless interference, I live in a place where neighbourhood networks are not that near to mine, so their signal is already low, but i have also changed the channels on which the wireless bands were setup on the Superhub, and I have leave things running for some time before assessing the impact of the changes.

I don't mean any disrespect to you, but it very much seem that from your point of view, it's not much to do with the Superhub but all with me and my network and surrounding - and this is the same story virgin has been feeding me for a long time. The fact that so many people have reported the same issues with their hubs on this forum, and that they somehow manage to get it fixed by either changing hubs or some power settings on the line doesn't seem to be resonating. I am really resisting putting the superhub in modem mode and plugging a different wireless router as I don't feel that it's fair that Virgin are putting up their price and yet I have to fork out more money for a bad service!

byker28i
Joining in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

We had exactly the same. The latest software update on the router has ruined it. Wifi dropped 2-3 times a day and rebooting the router would get the wifi back, but the router would not resync with Virgin, so we had to call support to get them to complete the resync and give us internet back again.

We have been sent a superhub 3, but see my post about further issues with that - constantly dropping connection.
0 Kudos
skyworm
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Actually, now that I am thinking more about it - the issues with the WiFi have started more or less at the time when I was upgraded to 100MB. I don't recall having to reboot my hub almost ever before.

0 Kudos
skyworm
Tuning in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

My 5GHz Wifi signal just dropped completely - just me working from home - so frustrating - and it happened while I was on a call. I wonder if I will ever get a response from Virgin about these

0 Kudos
skyworm
Tuning in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Update - I called Virgin today, and they have agreed to send me a new Hub, I've specifically asked for a 2ac, but it might be Superhub 3. I have also changed to modem mode and connected my own wireless router, and will be seeing how this works out too.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi skyworm,

Hope you're well Smiley Happy

I just wanted to pop by and see how you're getting on since your last post? Has your new Hub arrived? If so how are you finding it?

Please let me know if you need me to help with anything,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos