Menu
khumarahn
Dialled in
Message 1 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 2 5GHz problem connecting, some time after restart

Hi.

I have a problem with my wifi network on the superhub 2, and so far I couldn't find any support or idea how to solve it. The problem is with 5GHz network. I want to use 5GHz network, because 2.4GHz is overcrowded in the area, and speeds are very low, and routing the network cables is too complicated in my large house.

So, the problem is: some time after the router is restarted, I either lose the connection to the internet through 5GHz network, and cannot even access the superhub at 192.168.0.1, or I lose the wifi connection and cannot reconnect.

Restarting the superhub solves the problem, until it comes back eventually.

I observe the same behavior on various 5GHz channels, on all computers I have access to, under all installed operating systems - these are two laptops running linux/windows in dualbooot, and one mac air laptop. Restarting the laptop does not help (while restarting the superhub does help).

I asked for support on the website, through the online chat. I talked to "Ross", "Gleb" and "John". Ross and Gleb logged in to the superhub, changed the speed and channel settings, and asked me to monitor the situation. When I was talking to John, I wasn't able to reconnect to 5GHz. John logged in my computer remotely, confirmed that connection cannot be established, and said he cannot do anything at all.

In the end I was told that everything on the superhub 2 is working as expected, and there is some problem on my end. And even if there is a problem with 5GHz on the superhub, they are not going to do anything about it. 5GHz is a free feature that I got, and nobody guarantees it to work.

I don't think that there is a problem on my end... All three laptops have no problems using 5GHz networks at my work... And with superhub they sometimes work fine for several hours, and when the problem comes, restarting the computers does not help, while restarting the superhub - does.

Naive solutions - like resetting the superhub to the factory settings, or restarting everything - do not work. I would be happy to get some advice of experienced people, since it looks like I am not getting any support from virginmedia at all...

Sorry for the long post. I want to check if it is possible to get 5GHz working. I need 5GHz, because 2.4GHz is unusable in my area at peak times, and routing network cables is too much hassle.

I plan to leave virginmedia, unless this problem, and the "bandwidth outage" in my area, are fixed soon... I hope they will allow me to terminate the contract without the termination fee.

Message 2 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 2 5GHz problem connecting, some time after restart

Hi khumarahn,

Thanks for the post, the problems with your wireless connection are obviously a frustration for you.

I can see that you've recently be upgraded with a new SuperHub AC, hopefully this has solved the wireless drop out problemsSmiley Happy

Drop us a quick update when you get the chance.

Cheers

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
khumarahn
Dialled in
Message 3 of 61
Flag for a moderator

New SH seems to work fine :-) I continue my observations.

0 Kudos
joule772
Joining in
Message 4 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Hello, I've got a very similar problem. 5GHz Wifi has been working fine for a few months until a few days ago. Now seems to connect but has limited access and can't even access the hub home page. 2.4GHz works fine. A reboot fixes 5GHz connection for about 30 minutes then the problem comes back. It happens even if in the same room as the hub.

Is this a known fault with the Super Hub? khumarahn, we're you given a new hub only because of this problem?

Does anyone know if the Super Hubs are getting updates automatically? This had the symptoms of a bad update.

Thanks for any help and info.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Hi joule772,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forums, though sorry to see you've been experiencing similar wireless problems here.

I've run a few checks on your Superhub and the first thing that jumps out are the very low downsteam power levels reported, which are going to cause problems with your connection in general.

What we need to do is arrange for an engineer visit to get the levels corrected, which will hopefully fix things. I'll drop you a Private Message (red envelope upper left hand corner) so we can this booked in for you.

Cheers

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
khumarahn
Dialled in
Message 6 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Hi joule772, 

yes, they replaced the SH for me because of this single problem. They said that somebody else had a similar problem, and replacing the SH2 with SH2 didn't help, but with SH2ac solved the problem.

So if you have the same thing as me, they could probably give you a new superhub 2 ac.

And - so far SH2ac works fine for me.

midas2k3
Tuning in
Message 7 of 61
Flag for a moderator

This must be a problem with the SH2 as I have now started having the exact same problem with my router.

I have had it for around 4-5 months and now problems.

Restart the SH2 hub and after about 5 minutes the 5Ghz SSID will appear. 

It stays on for about an hour or so and then starts to falter and dwindle until you cant connect at all.  Network then drops out completely and I have to restart the router again.

Like others, I have factory reset back to default and gone through the rigmarole of setting everything back up again. 

Can support help out with this please? Maybe replace with the new AC version as it appears there is a fault with this model.

Many thanks

Stuart

0 Kudos
midas2k3
Tuning in
Message 8 of 61
Flag for a moderator

On further testing and yet another restore to factory settings I have found that the 5Ghz channel is turning itself on and off...  I used a channel wifi analyser to watch the signal.

was a very pretty graph that it was creating though.

2.4band is rock solid but rather full Smiley Happy

Think its time to report this as an actual fault on its own thread.

Thanks

Stuart

dnn
Tuning in
Message 9 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Hi. I'm not sure whether this thread re problem with Superhub2 5ghz went elsewhere, but I've been having the exact same problem in recent months. The 5ghz band seems to no longer be connected to the Internet and then I can't connect to it with any of my devices. The only resolution has been restarting the router (power on/off). Is this a hardware fault? 

0 Kudos
MSKelly
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Found this thread as I was sent a non ac SH2 on Monday and have not been able to connect properly to the 5ghz band at all (either fails to connect or unusually slow).

I've posted a thread concerning the adapter but looking here (and as I suspected in that thread) it seems the hub itself may well be the issue.

If someone from VM is observing can I ask why I was sent what looks like a used SH2 instead of a new SH2ac?

I do suspect I may have been sent a returned hub where this problem manifested and if I'd been sent a new SH2ac I might be avoiding this problem.

0 Kudos