Menu
shazngray
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Superfibre 50 only receiving 3.83mbps

• Hello, We are on Superfibre 50 and have been having problems losing connection for years with the message "your connection was interrupted".  The strength of our internet is poor and we have to leave our doors open downstairs just to try and stay connected, fed up trying to sort it out, my husband has regularly been charged over the past few years for data charges on his mobile thinking he was connected to our WIFI.  When I have just checked the speed we are only getting 3.83mbps download.  We have tried numerous tests via conversations with Virgin Media, had an engineer out and we are still in the same position, any advice would be much appreciated please?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superfibre 50 only receiving 3.83mbps

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference. Even an open door would improve reception as you have found out as a wireless signal will loose about half it's strength penetrating a wooden door.

I would test your connection with a device connected by ethernet cable directly to the hub. This will hopefully rule out any VM local circuit issues.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

Which SH do you have?

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.Bear in mind a wireless scanner will not show interference from domestic appliances such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it at  the expense of some range.

The SHs are basic entry level devices and a decent third party router would give better wifi coverage, but whether it will completely solves your problems will depend on your wireless environment and the topography of your home. For example. assuming your wireless environment is not too badly congested a decent third party wireless router might overcome the 30% odd loss of signal strength due to vertical propogation and give you a decent signal upstairs, however it may not be able to penetrate a couple of walls as well to reach that hard to get to back bedroom. In places that wireless finds hard to reach, powerline adapters provide a decent solution.

0 Kudos