Menu
realtingman
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

SuperHub3 WPS disconnecting current device TP-LINK

Hi There,

I am living in a huge shared house and sharing the Internet (100MBps) with everybody. However, somebody has plugged a TP-Link device to extend WiFi few days ago. It supposed to improve the signal, but for some reason it works the other way round for me. The Internet is constantly dropping, download speeds don't get more than 10MBps. A joke! So I went to switch off the device and it seems that the Internet started to work normally again. I have also disabled WPS in the admin settings. However, this person switched the TP-Link back again and I still see it in connected devices. I tried having a chat with that person, but he doesn't care and took the device in his room.

I just don't get it, why on earth it still connects to the SuperHub. Is there a way I can remove this device from the list or disconnect it somehow. It seems like it was paired with the router by pressing a button on it (thanks Virgin for enabling this by default!). How can I undo it now?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub3 WPS disconnecting current device TP-LINK

Powerlines and WiFi extenders are layer 3 devices so dont have a MAC or IP you can block. If its been paired by WPS, changing the WiFi passphrase should work.

BTW its enabled by default as that's the idea of it. Dont think Ive seen a router where WPS is disabled by default, plenty of articles on the net about why it SHOULD be, but the convention is its on.

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

and you may find this interesting

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/988492-why-don-t-wi-fi-repeaters-work-very-well-ok-why-do-the...

If he really wants to extend your wifi...

ideally use Ethernet cable and connect wired...

if he can;t do that then

use powerline adapter and connect wired using that

and if he really wants wifi

connect another router using ethernet cable and use it as a wireless access point

and if that cant be done

connect another router via powerline adapter and use it as a wireless access point

with another router you can make sure its channels don't clash with the hubs etc... 

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

realtingman wrote:

Hi There,

I am living in a huge shared house and sharing the Internet (100MBps) with everybody. However, somebody has plugged a TP-Link device to extend WiFi few days ago. It supposed to improve the signal, but for some reason it works the other way round for me. The Internet is constantly dropping, download speeds don't get more than 10MBps. A joke! So I went to switch off the device and it seems that the Internet started to work normally again. I have also disabled WPS in the admin settings. However, this person switched the TP-Link back again and I still see it in connected devices. I tried having a chat with that person, but he doesn't care and took the device in his room.

I just don't get it, why on earth it still connects to the SuperHub. Is there a way I can remove this device from the list or disconnect it somehow. It seems like it was paired with the router by pressing a button on it (thanks Virgin for enabling this by default!). How can I undo it now?

Thanks,

The internet account holder is ultimately responsible for how their internet connection is used. If you are in a shared household, paying for shared internet access which is not being provided, then your first point of contact should be the actual account holder. Inform them that a household member has interfered with your service, and refuse payment for that service until such times as it is fully restored.

Alternatively, take the offending household member outside, now, and explain the error of their ways!

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Exactly, what device is it?

Has it been set up with the same SSID as your main wireless network. If so, the SSIDs need different names so you can determine what you are connecting to. Bear in mind wireless repeaters will halve the wireless speed due to the half duplex nature of wireless.

A wireless repeater \ access point should not have a detrimental effect on your wireless network, unless it is set to broadcast on a  wireless channel that is conflicting with the channel the hub is broadcasting on. You can download a wifi scanner like InSSIDer to determine what is broadcasting on which channels. Changing wireless channels may work.

Large old multi-occupancy houses with thick walls are a wireless nightmare and needs careful planning and cooperation to work well.

0 Kudos
Tsar
Up to speed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Change the password for the wireless network and do not tell him the new password until he throws the extender away.

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

griffin wrote:

Exactly, what device is it?

A wireless repeater \ access point should not have a detrimental effect on your wireless network, unless it is set to broadcast on a  wireless channel that is conflicting with the channel the hub is broadcasting on. You can download a wifi scanner like InSSIDer to determine what is broadcasting on which channels. Changing wireless channels may work.

A lot wireless repeaters rebroadcast on the same channel they receive on and have no way to change this setting.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The OP has not stated what the devices is, so it will be pure folly to disregard wireless cross interference on assumption.

0 Kudos