So the initial test was with the SuperHub 5GHz radio set to 802.11ac with the channel width set to 20/40MHz I get 600Mbps link speeds on my wireless devices.
Just a note about the Hub 3's connected devices link speed. I wouldn't rely on that as your sole source of information (we had some trouble with it during the trials). It may not be accurate for many reasons. I would read the link speed from the actual device, if possible. This is easy to do on laptops. For my Android device I use the inSSIDer app, which may or may not still be available for free.
The Asus may be more accurate, but again always check what you're seeing on the actual device where possible.
Adding onto my previous post, I still get 200mbps download over Ethernet but around 30-40mbps over Wi-Fi connected to a 5GHz Access Point. Wi-Fi isn't coming from the SuperHub 3. I took the exact same access point round to a relative's house who has 200mbps broadband but not a SuperHub 3. Guess what, 200mbps download over Wi-Fi!
Can a mod, or anyone else, tell me or find out if there has been a firmware update recently because for no apparent reason I am now getting full speeds on my wireless devices now... I have just checked and the firmware my modem is on now is: 9.1.116V
I haven't modified anything on the Hub's settings since the last time we've discussed this and the tests are almost exactly the same as previously conducted tests.
It might be a fluke and could change again, which I really hope isn't the case, but for now at least I am getting 100Mbps+ on my wireless devices as I should.
Checked myself and it appears that the firmware I am on has been out for a while now so it is very unlikely that it has been updated, unless minor versions and hot patches aren't counted, in which case the mystery becomes even greater as I am still getting the full 100Mbps+ on wireless devices after the post 3 hours ago. Usually, after this amount of time it would revert back to slower speeds, but more often would stay inconsistent. It has been consistent thus far so I am not sure what to make of it.
I didn't think to check the VM router status page as - perhaps to my own demise - presumed 5ghz devices were connected at the optimum speed; however, all AC devices are showing 54Mbps.
On my smartphone with the hub 2ac i was getting 150mb easily, same set up but with the hub3 it's only showing 50mb. I posted in that thread that wired seems fine which unless i had done that would've thought something was up with the connection.
My network log shows the hub3 downloaded the latest firmware (9.1.116V) on its install and after wireless tests have not gone above 50mb on 5ghz AC devices.
When you just achieved your improved speeds did you have the hub in modem or router mode?
The SH3 has remained in router mode since the last proper response and perhaps a little longer, can't really remember, and I have not changed any settings.
a 54Mbps link speed, especially on 5GHz, indicates that something is not set correctly on your hub. I would fiddle around with some of the settings and make sure that the devices are achieving at least 600Mbps link speeds.
In response to the question "how my 3rd party router managed to achieve such pathetic speeds with the SH3 in modem mode" I cannot answer that... It managing to deliver 100Mbps wireless before the SH3 and failing to with it doesn't make any sense at all. It completely defies logic and I hope one day I can answer that question, but I can only put it down to a random software issue at the present moment.
Anyway, I recommend changing the setting away from a/n/ac mixed as it is unnecessary, a only supports up to 54Mbps.
N supports up to 300Mbps and AC up to 1300Mbps.
I have mine set to N only on the 2.4GHz frequency and ac only on the 5GHz frequency. Channel width is 20/40 on both.
You should be aiming to see at least 600 Mbps link speeds for the maximum speeds.
Bear in mind that the link speed is only a theoretical maximum speed and in no way will guarantee maximum speed for a plethora of reasons.
Thanks for the response. Very surpsrised to see how in modem mode you still get the poor Wi-Fi speeds, like you say it 'defies logic'?
I'm considering getting a wireless router and putting the hub in modem mode just to mitigate the current issues with the SH3, it is frustrating as this is a cost I'll have to foot. Unless, try to get an 2ac somehow and ask to go back on that??
Why VM are rolling these out with such issues is puzzling? Also, to the average, typical user, especially with the advent of Smartphones now having decent wireless speeds, when running speed tests they're going to think there's issues with their connections.
Straight out the box, the 2ac was great, no wireless config needed really. I think it's an issue with firmware perhaps that devices seem to only be connecting at 54Mbps? I changed my settings this morning to "ac" only and hit the 600mbps connection, but that was all and I was standing right next to the hub and it was not around anything. Speedtest was better, but still didn't show the 150Mb as before.
I would recommend doing this, as even though I can now get the full speeds over wireless, I haven't changed anything myself and nothing else appears to have changed within the settings such as the link speed so it really is random. My father has the SH2 and that reaches max speeds over Wi-Fi and he hasn't changed a thing on it but my SH3 couldn't.
If my SH3 starts acting up again I will be buying a new wireless router to replace my current out-of-service one as I think it is faulty (or just rubbish). What I would recommend is the TP-Link AC1900 Archer C9 wireless router. It is cheaper than other alternatives but apparently performs the same, if not better, than them. It's still fairly costly at around £100/$110, but as I have already found out, getting anything cheaper just results in the same problems at some point down the line.