Menu
Tuning in
Message 31 of 52 (497 Views)

Re: SuperHub 3 slow Wi-Fi

Hello MUD_Wizard,
I will post some extensive tests tomorrow across both the modem and router with different settings combinations. Hopefully it'll be seen. If the calculations of Sod's law are correct, it'll work fine whilst testing, and go back after.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 32 of 52 (497 Views)

Take a picture of where the router and hub are located, so we can see how far they are apart and their orientation to the wall.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 33 of 52 (497 Views)

A_Sweaty_Wombat wrote:
Hello MUD_Wizard,
I will post some extensive tests tomorrow across both the modem and router with different settings combinations. Hopefully it'll be seen. If the calculations of Sod's law are correct, it'll work fine whilst testing, and go back after.

Right you are. Don't forget to record the link speed the device is connected at before you run the test.

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 34 of 52 (474 Views)

A_Sweaty_Wombat wrote:

I'm using a separate wireless router with the SuperHub in modem mode, the settings seem standard with no compatibility modes active, so they should be running full speed.

in that setup, the wifi in the hub is bypassed so nothing in there can affect the speed.

the hub is reduced to being a simple modem which does not know or care if the end devices are wired or wireless, all if does is connect your router to the internet. wifi preferences are entirely controlled by your own separate router, so the focus has to be on the settings in that.e.g.  has it been accidentally set to only allow wireless g ?

as others have said - post make , model, screenshots, links to manual...

maybe the make is way down the thread already, but if that router was, say, an old linksys W45 g only, that would explain all the symptoms

a wifi scanner shoudl tell you if anything else nearby is broadcasting / using bandwidth. Some consumer devices e.g. our bravia TV show up on scanners

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 35 of 52 (457 Views)

Hellocybmole,

This is what is so frustrating, it defies all logic, no settings were changed on my router during the switch so in theory it should not affect it if the SuperHub is in modem mode.

I have a small hunch I'm going to follow today with the SuperHub only.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 36 of 52 (446 Views)

I know I said I'd do extensive testing, but to be honest I can't be bothered ha ha. I only need to show the madness of my tests with just the SuperHub. It's almost random.

So the initial test was with the SuperHub 5GHz radio set to 802.11ac with the channel width set to 20/40MHz I get 600Mbps link speeds on my wireless devices.

SuperHubLinkSpeeds.png

This yields the following results from Speedtest.net:

IMG_0269.PNG

This does include the one at the very bottom outside the border in this particular screenshot as I messed up a little. It's all over the place with absolutely no consistency at all.

Then I switched the 5GHz mode to 802.11n/ac keeping the channel width at 20/40MHz (obviously). This resulted in a link speed of 450Mbps both my iPad and iPhone support ac so I presume the reason it stuck with N this time is for compatibility reasons which is what most routers and modems do. My iPad shows up in this test and not the other because it'll have not connected in time for me refreshing the list, so just ignore that.

Devicesac-n.png

Again ignore the second device. It's just my iPad. It didn't connect in time for the last screenshot.

I did the speed tests again with more random results. This time around, I don't see 100Mbps at all despite having the theoretical capacity to do so.

IMG_0270.PNG

This time I got it right with the red outline so only read the ones inside it.

Then, for a final test I switched the SuperHub bac to the previous settings. I set the mode to 802.11ac keeping the channel width at 20/40MHz etc. and ran the tests again. I got some more slow results that seem too random again.

IMG_0271.PNG

Again, you only need to focus on the results inside the red box.

Now, I understand that results can differ between tests, but this is usually a couple of Mbps and not 20-70Mbps different. For extra validity purposes I should note that although it doesn't say that my iPad was connected during the first test it actually was. The iPad wasn't shown because I refreshed the page before it connected, it was connected when the tests were done however.

Just for the sake of it I just repeated a few tests on my iPhone and I got very similar results with the iPad disconnected. There are no loads on the network during the tests and to be quite honest, if the SuperHub 3 is not capable of dishing out consistent high speeds with multiple devices connected but idle, then there are much bigger issues as my SuperHub 1 was capable of this with ease; and that thing was ancient.

The results match that of when I last used the SuperHub to test the speeds so at least in that sense it is consistent. In terms of placement, the same as my SuperHub 1. The image of its placement can be found below.

IMG_0268.JPG

Unfortunately, due to upload size limitations, I have had to crop the size and reduce quality a bit but is more than enough to get the picture. I don't know why there is such a bias towards the right ha ha, but I can assure you that the nearest wall to the left is a couple of metres at least.

Finally, I just want to share a result from Speedtest.net on my desktop. I can get this result all day long no matter how many times I repeat it.

speedtest.png

All tests used the exact same server in Manchester which I forgot to mention as well.

Hope this helps give people a better idea.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 37 of 52 (434 Views)

[ Edited ]

A_Sweaty_Wombat wrote:

IMG_0268.JPG

Ok, can we have a wider shot as well which includes all the routers? And preferably where you're located when you are testing. To see what other objects you have that will interfere with the signal.

What I would do in your situation is:

- Remove the objects on the desk that will be reflecting the wi-fi signal at different angles. I notice some of them are metal, which will absorb the signal.

- Move the Hub 3 a couple of inches further away from the wall.

- Turn both the Hub 3 and other router with the front towards wherever you normally test from.

- You want all Hubs/routers turned so instead of them being 90 degrees to the wall, that they are 60 degrees to the wall.

- So all hubs/routers are parallel and in about the same relative position. All of them on the desk in view.

Q: Is that the SH1 off to the left of the picture?

Q: Is the SH1 wifi on while you're testing?

Q: What about the 3rd party router? I assume that's the black triangular device on the desk? Model?

Do all that then test again. You might try turning all the other hubs and routers off while you're testing just the Hub 3, to see if they're interfering with each other, BUT the changes in position are much more important, so do those first.

Don't worry about any of the other things I suggested until you try the position changes.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 38 of 52 (421 Views)

Hello MUD_Wizard,

I have moved a lot of things out of the way and moved it much further forward, that is as far forward as it'll go with the cables etc.

This first one is the rest of my desk where I am situated during the tests. I have also tried moving around various rooms throughout the house to see if it is any better or worse and it makes absolutely no difference.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzVqNNvg8WIIVmdSd1VfaGc2Tms/view?usp=sharing

Right, this one, I edited the picture because it was too large to upload to here but then realised that I can just upload it to Google Drive. :/ By that time I'd already edited and saved it so it'll have to do. It still gives an accurate idea of the space between the modem and the wall but sorry about that.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzVqNNvg8WIIQUpEVmdnWFAtOGM

In response to some of your questions.

1. No, that is not the SuperHub1, that is the SuperHub 3. The SuperHub 1 was replaced by that and is collecting dust somewhere.
  2. Yes, the SuperHub 3 is the only active device at the present moment. I disabled the 3rd party router today before the tests.
  3. Yes, the triangular object to the right is in fact my 3rd party router, but was disabled today for the tests. It is an Asus RT-N56UB1.

I have tested the speed with the SH3 facing forwards, on an angle and horizontal and it makes no difference unfortunately. I shall test it lower to the ground too shortly, but I don't imagine that yielding any results. I have tested the speeds on my desktop prior to testing to ensure that the speeds aren't actually limited and they weren't/aren't.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 39 of 52 (414 Views)

[ Edited ]

A_Sweaty_Wombat wrote:

In response to some of your questions.

1. No, that is not the SuperHub1, that is the SuperHub 3. The SuperHub 1 was replaced by that and is collecting dust somewhere.

LOL. No I mean the black blob in the bottom left of the picture (never mind you've moved it now whatever it was), not the black Hub 3. Just assume from now on that I know what all the Superhubs look like and how they work, as I have 4 years experience with all these devices. For reference I have a SH1, SH2, SH2ac, Hub 3 and Hitron CGNv4. 3 of them running on the same circuit at the same time.

1. Yes, the SuperHub 3 is the only active device at the present moment. I disabled the 3rd party router today before the tests.
  2. Yes, the triangular object to the right is in fact my 3rd party router, but was disabled today for the tests. It is an Asus RT-N56UB1.

Good good. I'll check in later when I have time.

I have tested the speed with the SH3 facing forwards, on an angle and horizontal and it makes no difference unfortunately. I shall test it lower to the ground too shortly, but I don't imagine that yielding any results. I have tested the speeds on my desktop prior to testing to ensure that the speeds aren't actually limited and they weren't/aren't.

Hmm. Small room though, quite likely to get signal cancellation in a space like that. Is that a mirror or a picture on the wall above the Hub 3?

Anyway, we'll move on to other methods of testing to try to get a full picture of what's happening. So we need the setting screenshots for that.. and the inSSIDer signal picture would be good too.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 40 of 52 (406 Views)

Hello MUD_Wizard,

Ah right, it was probably my makeshift tool bag (which is actually just a pencil case with tools in it ha ha). I did wonder why you were asking as I imagined you'd already have a pretty good idea as to the look of each hub but now I see what you were asking.

Above the SuperHub is neither a mirror or a picture. It is a cork board/whiteboard.

I shall run inSSIDer and take some screenshots. My laptop does not support 5GHz so the best I can do is provide information on the 2.4GHz frequency which won't be of much help. I will also take full screenshots of the settings for posting a bit later.

Thanks.

0 Kudos