Menu
Community elder
Message 21 of 52 (325 Views)

Re: SuperHub 3 slow Wi-Fi

Ok final thought before you call it in as faulty, is could it be due to hub location.

Is it close to something that reflecting or blocking the signal. So move it around within the limits imposed by the coax. A WiFi scanner on the iPhone will tell you signal strength, as another check.

My 5kHz speed halves once there is a wall in the way

I have a metal mesh music stand and my Asus access point really does not like having to beam through or around that. Glass and metal are the things to check for, or anything rebroadcasting on the same frequency. The roku 2 boxes do that, annoyingly, and I read reports of that causing bad interference. A WiFi scanner will detect that.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 22 of 52 (322 Views)

Hello,

I would love to say that it could be, but it's in the same room as me. No barriers to slow it down at all. :/

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 23 of 52 (303 Views)

Vaguely recall there being options to set WiFi types to mixed, or to g only....

A g only setting could explain it but a factory reset if tried should have cleared such

G is capped  at 45 so if the hub thinks that has been mandated...

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 24 of 52 (300 Views)

I'm using a separate wireless router with the SuperHub in modem mode, the settings seem standard with no compatibility modes active, so they should be running full speed.

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 25 of 52 (295 Views)

A_Sweaty_Wombat wrote:

I'm using a separate wireless router with the SuperHub in modem mode, the settings seem standard with no compatibility modes active, so they should be running full speed.

I'm getting confused here (doesn't take much). Have you always had the hub in modem mode using your own router or have you used the hub in router mode and still get the same results?

Dave.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 26 of 52 (293 Views)

Hello Dave,

I initially used the SuperHub 3 on its own. After noting the slow speeds I assumed that this would be solved by using my own wireless router (which I know to deliver the speeds). Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 27 of 52 (278 Views)

What wireless link speed do you get with the hub in router mode and what link speed do you get with your own router?

Dave.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 28 of 52 (275 Views)

Hello Dave,

On both I get at least 800Mbps minimum link speeds, more often than not, 1300Mbps.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 29 of 52 (262 Views)

[ Edited ]

The clue that your link speeds are varying radically and sometimes are 54Mb means that there's some form of interference.

This is all very anecdotal, making it not very easy to diagnose without data - knowing all the settings you're using and actual test results would be a good start.

Post screenshots of the wifi settings you're using on each router/hub.

Make sure all devices are disconnected from wired and wifi, except one. Then test like that using http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest and speedtest.net.

Post the links to the tests results here. A few different tests from Thinkbroadband would be good for comparison.

Move far away from the hub/router into another room and test. There's a form of wifi interference which can happen when you are close to the router, or in the same room. Each of the signals bouncing off the walls cancels each other out. This is not a conclusion, it's information.

Your test results so far suggest each device is operating at 54Mb link rate. That can happen due to interference, but also other reasons. The settings may help identify which direction to go.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 30 of 52 (257 Views)

Also use inSSIDer on the laptop to see what's happening with the wifi signal. I would assume it's actually strong and stable, but devices are in 54Mb mode. Post screenshots. Show, don't tell.

0 Kudos