Menu
MontyBiggles
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

SuperHub 3 periodically looses the internet for 30-60 seconds and seems generally sluggish!

After 5 years of faultless broadband service from Virgin we upgraded our 4 year old hub to the Hub 3, possibly my worst mistake of the year!

Since upgrading the internet often becomes unresponsive, for maybe 30-60 seconds we seem to lose connection, pages fail to load or the Amazon Fire Boxes moan there's no internet connection. This happens maybe four or five times a day and that's when we notice it, may be happening more frequently. We have re-booted the Virgin box repeatedly and even performed a factory reset.

We are also having issues when streaming music internally, after one minute or so things start to buffer and it breaks up every second, so maybe it's the internal router at fault more than a problem with the internet connection side of things? The co-ax cable is the same as the old hub used and hasn't moved.

One thing I have noted is the interface for the Virgin Hub 3 is painfully slow, taking minutes to switch between pages. Not sure if that indicates a problem with the firmware?

Talking of which I haven't found a way to check what Firmware is on the hub 3 or get it to check for an update.

Another point is the light on the front appears to stay white when we get these drop outs (and not green as some people have) if that helps. 

We have a fair bit going on in our house, two NAS drives (with static IP addresses), two networked printers and two Amazon Fire TV's, laptops, Streaming boxes, DVD players etc. Everything is connected via Ethernet so the only things on Wi-Fi are our phones.  We use an external Wireless Access Point for Wi-Fi as we could place it in a better position to cover the whole house and cover the garden.

Before the Hub 3 we never had any issues at all- everything just worked all the time! The old hub gave us 24Mbps, the new one 50Mbps which we don't really need. I'd settle for 10Mbps if it was reliable.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Helpful Answers
MontyBiggles
Tuning in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: SuperHub 3 periodically looses the internet for 30-60 seconds and seems generally sluggish!

Just called Virgin technical help; Very helpful guy said the issue is the router in the SuperHub 3, the internal router is not as good as the old router and it's being overloaded.

He said the old router was made by Netgear and capable of handling all our devices but Netgear are expensive to they went for a cheap router that's not designed to handle as many devices so it was being overloaded. He recommended we went back to our old hub. Unfortunately but being a good citizen I disposed of that in the electrical waste bin at the tip!

So we are going to set up the (not so super) Hub3 into modem mode and then buy a cable router to handle all the routing, which is an additional cost but looks like the only way.

The moral of this story is the grass is not always greener on the other side.

0 Kudos
MontyBiggles
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: SuperHub 3 periodically looses the internet for 30-60 seconds and seems generally sluggish!

Quick update:

We ordered a TP Link TLR600VPN last week - possibly a bit overkill but I don't need WiFi and I'd rather have something specifically designed for routing rather than a "jack of all trades, master of none".

The TP Link router was a doddle to set up, far easier than the Virgin Hub with a much faster interface. No more waiting for ages for pages to load! 

We configured the Super Hub 3 into Modem Mode, connected the Superhub3 to the Routers Modem socket and then connected one of the routers LAN ports to our 100Mbps switch. Now everything works as it should, if anything it's better than the old Virgin hub we had before the Super Hub 3.

We will probably upgrade to a gigabit switch at some point but we are in no rush. 100Mbps is more than enough for us to stream two Amazon Fire TV's and stream Audio and support our WAP.

0 Kudos

All Replies
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Sounds to me like a power level issue or a fault around that point, being as you have a white light on the front of the hub3 that rules out your using it in modem mode, if you are able could you please paste the page with your download and upload power levels? And perhaps the network log to see whats going on in there? It does take around a week for a reply here, so it may be worth calling up virgin and having them run some diagnostics over the phone, they could probably have an engineer out and have it fixed by the time you would get a reply on here.

0 Kudos
MontyBiggles
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Can you tell me how to check my power levels or point me in the right direction, It's so hard navigating the hub menu as every page takes almost a minute to load!
FWIW We did an internet speed test and that was fine, 50Mbps or something similar.
I checked the log and that was pretty uneventful but I'll post it here too.
Thanks! Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
MontyBiggles
Tuning in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just called Virgin technical help; Very helpful guy said the issue is the router in the SuperHub 3, the internal router is not as good as the old router and it's being overloaded.

He said the old router was made by Netgear and capable of handling all our devices but Netgear are expensive to they went for a cheap router that's not designed to handle as many devices so it was being overloaded. He recommended we went back to our old hub. Unfortunately but being a good citizen I disposed of that in the electrical waste bin at the tip!

So we are going to set up the (not so super) Hub3 into modem mode and then buy a cable router to handle all the routing, which is an additional cost but looks like the only way.

The moral of this story is the grass is not always greener on the other side.

0 Kudos
MontyBiggles
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Quick update:

We ordered a TP Link TLR600VPN last week - possibly a bit overkill but I don't need WiFi and I'd rather have something specifically designed for routing rather than a "jack of all trades, master of none".

The TP Link router was a doddle to set up, far easier than the Virgin Hub with a much faster interface. No more waiting for ages for pages to load! 

We configured the Super Hub 3 into Modem Mode, connected the Superhub3 to the Routers Modem socket and then connected one of the routers LAN ports to our 100Mbps switch. Now everything works as it should, if anything it's better than the old Virgin hub we had before the Super Hub 3.

We will probably upgrade to a gigabit switch at some point but we are in no rush. 100Mbps is more than enough for us to stream two Amazon Fire TV's and stream Audio and support our WAP.

0 Kudos
Archigos
Joining in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I have exactly same problem. Someone knows what can i do? Im very dissapointing.

0 Kudos
MontyBiggles
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Well, if your network has a lot of devices (we have 12-15) and it worked okay before you got the SH3 and now you can't connect to some of your devices it could be the same issue we have.
Since we got the TP Link router and put the SH3 into modem mode we've had no more issues.
I think mentioned we have a separate Wireless Access Point too, although most of our devices are on Ethernet.
Hope that helps!
0 Kudos
mrchannell
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi, New to virgin and having the same issue.  I was blaming my powerline setup but having connected directly to the Hub I still get the same issues.

Any assistance welcome.

Leslie

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello Leslie

Welcome to our broadband forum, I am sorry you are having some intermittent issues with the connection. 

It looks like we have some problems in the area with intermittent low SNR on the upstreams that serve you. This may cause packet loss, lag and disconnections etc so it is a good place to begin. I have asked our engineers to take a look ref F005129875 

Please accept our apologies, allow a few days and feel free to ask us for updates, once it is resolved if you are still having problems we will happily take another look.

Thank you for your patience

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello Leslie

Just a quick update, we thought we had it fixed but it reoccurred so we opened a new fault, the latest ticket is F005133669 with an estimated fix date of 10 MAR 2017. I have updated your account so if we have your correct mobile number you will hopefully get SMS updates.

Thank you for your patience

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos