Menu
ravid
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

SuperHub 3 and Port Forwarding, I.E 53 (DNS)

Hello,

I currently have a SuperHub 3 (the white new-ish one?) and I am having huge amounts of problems concerning port forwarding. I am able to forward ports 80, 443, and so on. But my SuperHub setting will not allow me to forward ports 25, 53, 135, 137, 138, 139, 161, 162, 445 & 1080 as they are "reserved". Thus stopping me from querying requests to my DNS server on port 53 in my internal network, from an outside network.

Why is the SuperHub doing this, and is there any way I can overcome this obstacle. On previous Virgin Media equipment, I have had no troubles forwarding any ports. Until now.

Will setting my SuperHub in "modem mode", and using a different router, to set up port forwarding, be a solution to my problem, or just cause more problems?

David.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: SuperHub 3 and Port Forwarding, I.E 53 (DNS)

You might not be able to get ports 135, 137, 138, 139 and 445 it depends on the gateway VM setup.

Modem mode should let you do everything you have to test this for the hub 3

For UDP 53 for personal use as a resolver lookup that you should try to firewall it as much as possible if at all possible.

All Replies
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You might not be able to get ports 135, 137, 138, 139 and 445 it depends on the gateway VM setup.

Modem mode should let you do everything you have to test this for the hub 3

For UDP 53 for personal use as a resolver lookup that you should try to firewall it as much as possible if at all possible.

ravid
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your response, legacy1. I shall give this a try when I have another router at hand, shall post back the results

David.

0 Kudos
GauBan
Up to speed
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi guys,

I've been keeping an eye on this as I don't want to update to a Hub 3 until I can ensure all the things I do on my router works correctly.

I've been told by VM techs that a recent update has been released for Hub 3 and is meant to fix a load of issue.

Can anyone confirm the following.
1) Xbox Live and PSN are not having issues?
2) Port forwarding is no longer block on Port 25 and port 80?
3) There is no longer the stupid requirements for WPA keys & user logons?
4) That you can change you IP settings and disable DHCP on the router?

Cheers,

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You likely shouldn't get the hub 3 unless as a failsafe you get your own router even then they really tested it bad and keep on rushing these hubs out.

0 Kudos
GauBan
Up to speed
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I was told I was gonna get a Super HC 2 AC. But they sent me a 3 instead. Now they say they can't give me a 2 AC as they don't have any of them.

I powered the new router up without connecting it to my connection and there is some few options. I'm just wondering if the current firmware is better. I might turn it on again and check for the firmware.

0 Kudos
ggeldenhuys
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Did switching the Hub 3.0 into "modem mode" resolve your port forwarding problems? I'm having the same issues, but don't have another router (yet) to test the modem mode solution.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

ggeldenhuys wrote:

Did switching the Hub 3.0 into "modem mode" resolve your port forwarding problems? I'm having the same issues, but don't have another router (yet) to test the modem mode solution.

You can test without a router just connect a PC to the modem mode port with MS firewall.

0 Kudos
Orision
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Just a heads up - Been having the same problem. Modem mode will allow you to portfoward on your own router, but Modem mode on the home hub 3.0 has huge problems. It will disconnect every 30 minutes or so. Please see the thread here --> http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Hub-3-0-port-flapping/td-p/3073985

If you are trying to host a VPN, Play games online or do anything that requires a consistent internet connection - Good luck. Modem Mode is just the new step of your struggle with Virgin.  

tierix
Dialled in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

tierix

Is it the 116v firmware you have? 

0 Kudos