Menu
piphil
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

SuperHub 3 Port Forwarding, specifically Port 80

I run a personal website from a Synology Diskstation on my network. We recently had an "upgrade" to the SuperHub 3, which I've had a fair number of problems with the port forwarding.

I run my website using https. I can forward requests from the internet on Port 443 fine. However, if I try to forward Port 80 to my DiskStation (and this is also true of 3389 for RDP on my other server) to renew the https certificate, it says:

"The local ports between 80 and 80 on IP 192.168.0.XX have been added as virtual server already, please try another one."

I have a spare router, which I was using before with my old SuperHub 2 in modem mode, and it allowed this with no problems. What's going on? Is this Virgin trying to limit how we use their connections? I can't remember being told hosting websites was an issue?

EDIT: In fact, the forwarding page says: "This function allows for incoming requests on specific port numbers to reach web servers, FTP servers and mail servers, etc:" ie why can't I forward the port that's used for basic web server access...?

0 Kudos
piphil
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub 3 Port Forwarding, specifically Port 80

OK, it seems it's only blocking port 80 forwarding on the local side of the firewall; I just needed to set a non-standard port up on the inside.

You know when you start to complain and the solution presents itself...?

0 Kudos
pbolding
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub 3 Port Forwarding, specifically Port 80

Presumably you have worked out by now that there is a bug; the workaround (flagged on a different thread by a form team person) is to add the ports in port forwarding in numerical order. They have known about this for months but shockingly haven't fixed it.

I found out the hard way after getting hub 3.0 this week and had to delete several lines and start again.

Oddly, I was discussing software testing with the VM guy who did the instal because I used to do it for a living. He said there were software testers at VM but he kind of implied they were a superior kind of being and had never met any. If they do exist, they are obviously too busy to deal with this and other bugs in hub 3.

These include the fact (also flagged on a different forum thread months ago) that the function ostensibly allowing the user to rename the connections (ie replace MAC addresses with real words) doesn't work.

All in all, the interface on hub 3.0 is appallingly clunky. Connections appear in two different places but in my case, don't record them all. And the warning that you are about to leave a page without saving changes appears even when there are no changes... etc  etc.

0 Kudos