Menu
obinice
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

SuperHub 3 DHCP Service seems to be down after Virgin scheduled maintenance?

Good evening!

Virgin had a few hours of down time today, it was planned ahead and so I was aware, and I don't mind at all. Their service is excellent. However when it came back up, I was unable to access the Internet with any device other than my tablet. I quickly realised it was because I had a static IP set on the tablet, and not on any other devices on the network. I've since been able to get my computer back on the net (hi!).

However, I can't access the SuperHub 3's web GUI to diagnose or affect any changes. I have rebooted the unit with no success, and in fact it randomly rebooted itself a little while later (just now at 1600hrs), and that's not fixed the issue either.

I don't see how Virgin's maintenance could have affected my internal network, unless perhaps they pushed a firmware update to the router without so much as discussing it with the sysadmin on site, or staying in communication for a contingency rollback should it be necessary. If that's the issue, then such a rollback seems necessary as it has gone awry. If that's the reason my systems are experiencing this down time now, I'll be rather annoyed. Most of my devices are headless and rely on DHCP. While possible, it would be a huge pain and a lot of time to get at them all to temporarily manually work around the issue.

I could attempt to reset the router to factory settings with a pin, however I'd rather avoid this if at all possible. I had a lot of trouble transferring my network configuration across when I got this device. Adding the static IP assignments alone took almost two hours (only 35 assignments, but the GUI is incredibly slow and clunky (e.g. Ui hangs for a whole minute after affecting any change at all, or trying to load a new page), and also likes to reset the entire network interface every time you add an assignment....it's awful). Overall updating the whole configuration will just take too much man power, and I'd rather not have to put the overtime in because of somebody else's mistake.

Does this device support telnet/ssh? I can't find any details on Google for this unit's features. Can Virgin diagnose the issue/roll back the firmware update remotely? When I check their service page and run a test it gets to about 20% then says:

"We're trying to sort it out for you

In about 10 minutes we should have finished, so take a break and then restart your equipment and check to see if all is well. If there's still a problem, please get in touch with us."

However, I'm concerned that might be an erroneous response to another issue in my area which seems rather unrelated:

"Customers may experience intermittent access to Webmail- with error message"

It's been saying that for rather longer than 10 minutes, anyway. I tried to get in touch via web chat however I got the message: "Sorry, the team are currently unavailable, please try again during our opening times." Which is odd, as their opening times are 8am to 8pm, and it's now only 4pm. I'd give them a call but I don't want to spend my own money to deal with their problem, I doubt I'd be reimbursed.

Thanks for the help folks. I've been with this ISP for 15 years and never had to make a forum post, haha. They're a good lot all in all. This one incident just has me rather peeved.
0 Kudos
obinice
Joining in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub 3 DHCP Service seems to be down after Virgin scheduled maintenance?

Update: I've reset to factory settings, which "fixed" the issue. However when then going on to applying my configuration backup files, which had been carefully taken care of for just such an eventuality as this, the same issue presented itself again. I have tried to apply a number of backups from multiple steps in my setup process, all with the same result, DHCP offline and no GUI access. It looks like I'm going to have to spend a long night getting this stuff all reconfigured, and go around all my devices and reconfigure them too.

Please tell me there's some ssh access so I don't have to trudge through this awful GUI for the next six hours to configure the network? Please?

I'm not at all pleased. I love Virgin, but in this case I'll point out that their routers have always been awful garbage. I've only ever had their Super Hub 2 and Super Hub 3, before those I had my own hardware. Granted the throughput and general stability of the network seems vastly improved in the SH3 model, but the interface and functionality of the firmware is still awful. Utterly awful. If I could afford to run it in modem mode, I absolutely would.

Has anybody else suffered similar issues today with what I suspect was a sneaky uninformed firmware update?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub 3 DHCP Service seems to be down after Virgin scheduled maintenance?

Hi obinice,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

Sorry to read that you are having issues with your connection.

In regards to the firmware you can check this within the router settings to see if it has been updated.

With the maintenance this was to complete work at the exchange, however this shouldn't of caused this issue. I've taken a look at your connection and the downstream power levels are on the high side. For this I would like to arrange an engineer appointment to adjust these for you. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) requesting some details.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos