Menu
NaffanDroo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

SuperHub 3 - Can't disable DHCP or change WIFI password rules

So I got a new SuperHub 3 sent to me because my 2ac was playing up (dropping into wall garden mode apparently, and often capping itself at 40mbps instead of 150), but on receiving it I find it unusable because:

1. Despite having a WIFI password 63 chars long, it wants to FORCE me to have a capital letter in it. This is bad given the number of wireless devices in the house - and the effort I've already gone to for making sure my password is pretty secure - having typed it out manually in devices like an Amazon Fire stick - the idea of being forced into silly rules that don't make my password any more secure is just wrong.
  2. I have my own DHCP and internal DNS server - I can't disable the DHCP service on the 3 when I could on the 2ac

These two things mean I've reverted back to the old one, and was advised to search the forums about firmware updates.

I'd really like to put these two issues forward for resolution (or at the least making it possible for Virgin to remotely change the WIFI rules, or disable the DHCP server) and the guy on the end of the phone at Virgin said to keep hold of the SuperHub 3 in case I can test get on a beta firmware test program...

Anyone have any idea how I do that or do I have a big white Brick until they release firmware to make it usable?

Without these features, basically you're forced into Modem only mode and don't get the benefit of what is actually supposed to be fairly decent WIFI much like the 2ac...

Cheers

Tags (3)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
paulclancy
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: SuperHub 3 - Can't disable DHCP or change WIFI password rules

Hint: Open console from WIFI settings page

and

`ConfigureWiFi('<SSID>','<Password-that-doesn't-meet-requirements>')`

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The DHCP issue is solved in the upcoming firmware meaning it can be disabled one you have 88T. As for the password I don't know as I never changed it on my 88T Hub 3.0 

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
NaffanDroo
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Good to know about the DHCP, though the password rules is a nightmare issue still - given I work with computers as my job, I don't want to be molly coddled about what password rules I should use - the length and randomness of my password is far superior to the rules that the hub is trying to force me into.

The main issue is not how easy it would be to make such a long password compatible with a couple of changes, its how many devices I'd have to manually retype in a long password for - and thats not acceptable from a router.

Another issue is that you're basically giving away the rules made for the password - most people might do the bare minimum to meet the password so you've given away the game to anyone trying to crack it; alternatively, a lot of people might also simply just use the default network password supplied with the router - which Virgin evidently deem secure enough as a default. Nothing really gained security wise by forcing rules upon us!

Cheers
0 Kudos
NaffanDroo
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Do we know when the firmware upgrade is available?

Also what about the password rules - can they be disabled by the end user or an extra rule to allow high length passwords be used?

0 Kudos
paulclancy
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hint: Open console from WIFI settings page

and

`ConfigureWiFi('<SSID>','<Password-that-doesn't-meet-requirements>')`

NaffanDroo
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Is that console available in a new firmware? Don't see it on mine as I haven't connected it for ages now so is probably old.
0 Kudos
NaffanDroo
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to dig this up again but the question is about when they might have disabled the rubbish Wifi password rules requiring a capital letter... Can anyone confirm if it still requires a capital letter? I'd try the above console command but it involves committing to switching to the new hub.

0 Kudos
paulclancy
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I was referring to the developer console in your browser.  Hit F12 and be enlightened!

NaffanDroo
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Aha! Nice, might give that a try one day soon! Thanks

0 Kudos
NaffanDroo
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Worked well! How did you find out about these commands and is there a way to set an SSID for the 2Ghz differently to the 5Ghz using a command? Since now the UI won't let me save any changes as it still hates the wifi password.

0 Kudos