Menu
clapugean
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

SuperHub 3.0 port forwarding "timeout" issues

Hi all,

My first post here so please be gentle Smiley Happy 

I have the SuperHub 3.0 and I have some issues with the port forwarding setup. I have a home server configured and need to be able to establish a VPN connection to it. Configuring it in the first place is straight forward and works OK. But it only works for 30 minutes to few hours max, after which the VPN becomes unreachable from the outside as if the ports closed back up. The only way to get them working again is but unticking the port forwarding on every rule created, and then tick them back again. That resumes the normal operation for again 30 mins to few hours after which it all stops again. 

Anyone came across this issue before? 

Ports that are opened are: 

500 UDP, 1701 UDP, 1723 TCP, 4500 UDP. 

To put another spanner in the works, opening a random port (9999) for a Kodi server is working OK and does not time out. It seems only the VPN ones are a problem. Tried setting them up from scratch 3 times with the same happening. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks 

Cal

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub 3.0 port forwarding "timeout" issues

It may have nothing to do with the super hub doing state but it can be the problem as there is no linking of the device to what does state its why firewalls on device work so well back in the day.

So if you use modem mode and the device doing a VPN server/client does the VPN drop?

0 Kudos
clapugean
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. 

It deff seems like it's a timeout issue of some sort as if the VPN is connected it will keep the ports open so the VPN never drops once connected. However if the VPN connection is not alive, the ports will just close and a new VPN connection will not be possible. Also when an outside connection is not possible, on the server side when I check the reachability it comes back with no services available as ports are closed (even though on the router side the rules are still there and seemingly active).

One option would be to put the server's IP in the DMZ, however that seems a bit drastic and exposes my server quite a bit. Would not want to do that unless all else fails. 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

clapugean wrote:

One option would be to put the server's IP in the DMZ, however that seems a bit drastic and exposes my server quite a bit. Would not want to do that unless all else fails. 

So what else is their before all else fails?

0 Kudos