Menu
Graham106
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

SuperHub 3.0 drops hard-wire connected devices

Hi to all,

I'm new to Virgin, just over a month now, having moved from PlusNet after many years. I'm reasonably experienced with such technical issues but this one has me beat.

Previously never had a problem with my devices (PC and NAS box) connected to my PlusNet router by Ethernet cable. However, now with the Virgin router both NAS and PC from time to time seem to drop off the network completely and both devices have to be restarted to connect. I can ping the router from the PC but can't access web pages. When this happens, if I restart the PC I can then access the internet but not the NAS and have to restart the NAS too.

It seems to happen from time to time after periods of inactivity. Any thoughts?

I've done the usual restarts of router, left disconnected for a while etc. Swapped switch ports on the SuperHub too. Could it be faulty switch sockets in the SuperHub 3?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub 3.0 drops hard-wire connected devices

I believe the Hub 3.0 has green Internet features that can switch off individual Ethernet ports if it fails to receive a response from a device for some time or a device reports that it is idle.  This fairly recent addition to Ethernet may not have been a feature available on your Plusnet router. I don't think any of the previous VM hubs supported it either.

I'd have a look at the NIC setting on your PC and NAS to see if there are any green Ethernet or energy saving settings and if they are enabled.  If they are try disabling these features to see if that makes a difference.  These green features should just wake up the Ethernet port on the hub again when needed, but as I have seen similar reports before I suspect it might not be working quite right. The solution for others was to switch off the green features on their NIC to stop the hub switching off the port.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Graham106
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub 3.0 drops hard-wire connected devices

Thanks, Scott, that's helpful. I'll get on and look into this later today.

Graham