Menu
MacUsers
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

SuperHub 3.0: No internet connection

Hi there,

I'm facing this very strange issue and VM technical support unable to help.  I've been using in modem mode fro ages and recently upgraded from to SH3  from 2ac. Nothing change on the Router/Firewall (pfSense) side, just a straight swap of the SuperHub. After activating SH3 and connecting in modem mode (just like 2ac), I get exactly the same WAN IP address, that I was getting with 2ac but I cannot connect to the Internet at all. I checked all the usual suspects - Ethernet cable, port(s) etc. but no joy so far. It's not a port flapping issue and I'm running 9.1.116V firmware. I'm running completely out of ideas: It works absolutely fine, if I just simply [re-activate and] re-connect hub 2ac, with out any change of settings. 

Does anyone know anything about it or know what else to look for?  Really appreciate any kind of help yo my offer.

-San

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: SuperHub 3.0: No internet connection

MacUsers wrote:

regardless of if have connected to another port or not, I always get the same IP address on the pfSence that I was getting with 2ac but I cannot connect to the Internet. With 2ac, I can. On the pfSence, I'm using SH3's WAN side MAC as spoofed MAC address.

That's your problem right there. You shouldn't be doing that.

If I connect my laptop directly to the hub, I get an IP which is completely different, from a different subnet.  

No surprise, because your laptop has a different MAC address.

-S

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You say "simply [re-activate and]" - that's not a simple process it involves ringing in to get it reactivated.

Just so we get a handle on where you are now...

If you plug your 2AC back in WITHOUT phoning and and jumping through hoops to get a hit sent- does your internet work?

If yes- your HUB3 isnt activated (your 2AC gets deactivated automatically) and you need to get it activated.

0 Kudos
MacUsers
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote:

You say "simply [re-activate and]" - that's not a simple process it involves ringing in to get it reactivated.

Sorry, I probably wasn't very clear. w.r.t. all "activating/re-activating" matter, I meant calling VM support of course. So, I have two hubs with me at the moment - 2ac and SH3. when I call and ask them to activate 2ac in my a/c, everything works fine. If I ask them to activate SH3 instead, it doesn't work in modem mode (having said that: I do get the WAP IP on my FW but cannot connect to the Internet). If I switch to SH3 "Router mode", I get internet connection.

Another thing I noticed: in modem mode, I see I can use any port (not just a single one as on 2ac). if I connect my laptop to the 2nd port (whilst being in modem mode) directly, I get a different IP address but can connect to the Internet from that laptop. Don't know if this making thing any worse or better.

After using the SH3, the old 2ac doesn't work straight away, for obvious reason, unless I call VM support to reactivate it back 

-San

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Okay so

Connecting laptop to another port on HUB3 in modem mode works fine

When you connect up your HUB3 it gets a new WAN IP end of. Its allocated by your CMTS

So if you are not seeing the new WAN IP on the other side of PFsense, somethings not being passed through right- which it is when you connect to a port with laptop (but not through PFsense) everythings good

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

MacUsers wrote:

Another thing I noticed: in modem mode, I see I can use any port (not just a single one as on 2ac). if I connect my laptop to the 2nd port (whilst being in modem mode) directly, I get a different IP address but can connect to the Internet from that laptop. Don't know if this making thing any worse or better.
That's as expected. You can use any single port on the Hub 3 when it's in modem mode, but shouldn't be able to use two ports at the same time. 

0 Kudos
MacUsers
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

regardless of if have connected to another port or not, I always get the same IP address on the pfSence that I was getting with 2ac but I cannot connect to the Internet. With 2ac, I can. On the pfSence, I'm using SH3's WAN side MAC as spoofed MAC address.

If I connect my laptop directly to the hub, I get an IP which is completely different, from a different subnet.  

-S

0 Kudos
PhilHornby
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

MacUsers wrote:

On the pfSence, I'm using SH3's WAN side MAC as spoofed MAC address.

Shouldn't you be using the native pfSence MAC, rather than the same as the Hub 3? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

MacUsers wrote:

No surprise, because your laptop has a different MAC address.

-S

0 Kudos
MacUsers
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

MUD_Wizard wrote:

MacUsers wrote:

On the pfSence, I'm using SH3's WAN side MAC as spoofed MAC address.

If MAC address was the problem,  shouldn't it be the case that I wouldn't get any IP at all in the first place? That MAC address (even though it's from SH3)  works just fine when 2ac is connected. I'm gonna try the Native MAC address and report back.

w.r.t. different IP address on the laptop, I understand having different MAC address on it but IP is completely from different block - is it also b'cuz of different MC address?

-San 

0 Kudos
MacUsers
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone, for help. It's working now! That was the MAC address issue.

Just to note (for others), I had to disconnect and power down the modem (and keep it off for a min or so) and the pfSence to pick up te new Ip address from the hub. Now I get the IP from the same range as my laptop when directly connected. All good now.

-San

0 Kudos