Menu
BigWykes
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 53
Flag for a moderator

SuperHub 2 dropping 2.4ghz channel

I've had this issue since I got the SH 2ac following a speed upgrade to 150mb service. 

When devices won't connect (phones and Chromecast v1), a full reset works for a while (reset last night, worked until this morning) but the issue keeps recurring.  Was needing to reset every week or so to start with but now it's becoming an almost daily task.  5G wifi and cabled connections are fine, but not all my devices support 5G.

From what I can find on these forums, I'm not the only person suffering this issue.  Is it a faulty hub? I don't want to resort to buying my own router to connect to the hub as the hub should be providing full connectivity.

simonhaydn
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub 2 dropping 2.4ghz channel

I had this issue too (or one similar), managed to convince Virgin to give me a new hub (which was just the 2 not ac) and same issue occurred, though even with the 5G now. When the connection 'drops', does the device consider the connection to be active but limited connectivity?

How many devices do you have connected?

0 Kudos
BigWykes
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 53
Flag for a moderator

the Chromecast isn't compatible with 5G so it just doesn't work if it can't connect to 2G.  If our phones are on 2G for whatever reason, they usually connect to 5G ok (an iPhone 6 & an iPhone 6s) - however, the 6s has been a bit flaky as well recently.  

There can be a range of devices connected (not all at the same time) - the iPhones above, iPad, MacBook air, Windows 7 laptop, Chromecast, Fire TV Stick plus 5 or 6 cabled connections (have cabled what I can using homeplugs)

I went from a SH 2 to the ac when I changed to the faster package - the SH 2 was worse & I thought things had improved significantly until this issue started! 

0 Kudos
simonhaydn
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Likewise (but conversely) when we switched to the SH2 the issue was fixed...and then came back, perhaps worse!

The best advice I ever had (we have 6-14 devices connected wirelessly) is that the hub effectively 'crashes' with a large number of connections - when the internet connection drops for Wi-Fi, I tried connecting to the hub itself (192.168.0.1) but this wouldn't go through either - suggesting the problem is the broadcast itself.

This does explain the 'symptoms' but seems a bit of a cop-out, and makes me doubt the quality of the SH2/2ac.

Ringing Virgin about this, no one there had anything constructive to say, so I'm spending time on here and all I'm seeing is the same issue...everywhere! Let's hope we can get a solution.

0 Kudos
BigWykes
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 53
Flag for a moderator

I'll need to check the wired connections & see if I get the same when the 2G drops. 

I've not phoned yet, thought I'd try here 1st as it's usually a good place to start.  

Hoping someone gets back with some kind of solution or I may need to consider moving to another provider (BT/Sky fibre now available in my area, only down side is their speed isn't as good as VM's). 

0 Kudos
simonhaydn
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 53
Flag for a moderator

I think over wired you'll still be able to access the router, if it's behaving like mine is! 

In fairness, reliability trumps speed all day long. My other house gets 30 Mbps max on BT Infinity as opposed to 100 Mbps on VM, but since I only use 2.4 GHz, I only ever get ~30Mbps anyway - so at least on the BT I'm getting the maximum!

BigWykes
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Can anyone from VM respond to this??

Message 8 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Hi BigWykes,

I'm sorry to hear you're suffering problems with drops on the 2.4 GHz band, that sounds frustrating, especially since the 5 GHz band maintains a connection.

Can you check if the 2.4 GHz light on the hub is going out when it drops your devices?  From what you've described, wireless interference sounds like the most likely culprit, it's uncommon for one band to fail whilst the other maintains connections simultaneously.  I'd recommend following the advice in our Getting the best wireless network signal article.  Particularly focus on trying different channels, and maybe even try a different wireless mode to see if there's a better combination available for stability.

Let us know how you get on, I hope that helps Smiley Happy

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
RuneyT
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 53
Flag for a moderator

I get the same problem. Seems the router is just not very good at all. Needs resetting daily just to be able to connect again. It isn't interference either, as I have checked. Also our previous Superhub (1) was absolutely fine on 2.4Ghz. Since our "Upgrade" we have had to reset daily.

I am tearing my hair out with this thing.

simonhaydn
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Absolutely. I've been told time and again it's interference. IT ISN'T. 5GHz can suffer too. It's a complete failure of the Wi-Fi broadcast, but the router keeps the lights on indicating the broadcast is working so there's nothing to be done other than a reset.

Can someone from VM have a proper think about this? It's nothing obvious.

DHCP settings, channels, security type, 802.11 mode...checked all those and it still happens when the router is busy.