Menu
Briggsysm
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Super hud and wired network

I have a wired network with unmanaged switch how do I connect my super hub 2 to it create a usable network? 

0 Kudos
envoycdx
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super hud and wired network

Depending on the switch, it may have a dedicated uplink port, (for example, some Belin, D-Link, 4 or 8 port switches use the last port as an uplink) this is where you would plug your modem / router into.
0 Kudos
Briggsysm
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply It is a netgear GS116v2 switch and I currently have the hub connected in to the first port numbered 1. This is via a cat6 cable from my living room into the cellar. 

0 Kudos
andybundy
Up to speed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Unless you have a much older 10/100 hub or switch, then quite honestly the  whole concept of uplink ports, crossover cables and other prehistoric ideas have been dead and buried for some years.

Nowadays, even with a switch to switch connection which is what you have created, almost all modern devices automatically reconfigure connections for crossover if needed.

You've even got the cable right using cat 6, and my only comment on this is to try to avoid cca (copper clad aluminium) as the saving is a false economy in the long run.

As far as using unmanaged or 'non smart' switches, the only benefit  to smart or managed switches is where you can configure traffic shaping or quality of service, or even confuse yourself with vlans!

Good luck, sounds like you're on the right track.

Andy

AndyBundy
-----------------
I don't work for VM. I am medically 'retired' after working for a large multi-national Telco and have spent fifteen years in WAN/LAN IP Networking, Network Management and IT Support.
0 Kudos
Briggsysm
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone for the responses. I suppose one question is do I need to switch the superhubs wi fi off? I have a apple time capsule and could use this for the wi fi. The switch looks like it auto selects the behaviour of the port. At present I have everything connected but nothing is appearing on the switch that would suggest I have a viable connection. It is goot to know I am on the right lines with the network etc but just not sure how to get it all talking to each other. 

0 Kudos