Menu
azzer2000
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Super hub wifi dropping requiring reboot

Ok, so as it says, suddenly at any random time of the day, all my wifi devices will lose connection to my superhub, or they will stay connected but have no internet connection. To fix the problem i have to reboot the router then everything is fine again. Through all this i still have a working wired connection.

I had this problem a few months ago (it was happening as regular as daily at one point) and virgin exchanged my router for a new one, and the problem re occured, i rang them and they applied some settings and its been ok for nearly a month until today, so this is the first time its happened in a month.

Other symptoms are, the 2g and 4g wifi lights on the router flash simultaneously every few seconds while the wifi connection is dropped and while this is happening i cannot log into the router using the usual ip address even on my working wired connection until i have rebooted, which i find very strange, then when i look at the network log after, there is no clue as to the error. 

Its a frustrating problem, has anyone else had the same problem or can answer what is causing the problem?. I know that this is only the 1st time in a month but iv been with other internet providers and never had to restart the router in a year.   

i have no idea if this may help?

19/11/201615:41:56 GMT66050310Auth Success - Web login successful.
19/11/201615:25:33 GMT66050310Auth Success - Web login successful.
19/11/201615:25:21 GMT66050300Auth Fail - Web login failed.
19/11/201615:25:07 GMT66050300Auth Fail - Web login failed.
19/11/201615:12:24 GMT68010302DHCP WAN IP - 
19/11/201615:11:27 GMT68000407TOD established
Time Not EstablishedTime Not Established84000510Downstream Locked Successfully
0 Kudos
Mackemmah
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super hub wifi dropping requiring reboot

Sorry I can't help as I have the same issue! Everything was fine until about a month ago now my WiFi to the VM Super Hub 2 suddenly fails and only a reboot of the router fixes the issue. The problem is getting worse sometimes I have to reboot more than once per day, this is extremely frustrating. I have switched one of my laptops to Ethernet Over Power and no issues with it. 

Anyone with an answer would be gratefully appreciated, I am considering putting the router in modem mode or using a wireless AP but these should not be required and I have to pay, I think VM should offer compensation for a product that is not fit for purpose.

0 Kudos
azzer2000
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, at least I know it's not just me now! There is obviously some kind of crash inside the router, but why is the router not detecting it and rebooting just the Wi-Fi itself?

As you say, modem mode and my own router may be the final option.
0 Kudos
Sandrah
Dialled in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My wifi has been like this for awhile now, it keeps dropping, but my wired connection is fine, can get on the internet from my wired pc but not from my ipad[wifi] or phone, this is a real nuisance, I have to keep rebooting all the time, VM do something about this please, we pay for this service.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference. Wireless interference is a global issue and is not confined to any ISP, as it is cause by factors outside their control which they cannot do anything about.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

I would also check for other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

WPA2 with AES usually provides the best wireless encryption, there are a few devices that cannot handle WPA auto very well.

It is also a good idea to keep the drivers on your wireless client adapters up to date using the device's adapter's manufacturer's website. (Do not rely on Windows Update )

The Hubs are entry level devices, much like any other ISP's router, A decent third party router will give you a stronger signal, but it may not cure the problem due to the many factors involved.

Wireless can be complex, and there is no one size fits all fix.

The wireless lights flashing about every 20 seconds or so,  is just the wireless networks beaconing (advertising their presence, ) and is nothing to worry about.

0 Kudos
Sandrah
Dialled in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Y,know what I just read...gobbly **bleep** golly gee *&%^%*(^((). .........I am in my 70s........ I AM NOT computer or indeed router savvy and wouldl'nt dream of messing around insde my router, NO I get my services from virginmedia I PAY THEM for said services, and I EXPECT said services to work, so please don't tell me to fix it myself, now!........... if you'd like to know how to cook a nice souffle maybe I can help.....

0 Kudos
azzer2000
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Entry level hub? That's not what it says on the bill boards! Apparently the best vthing since sliced bread.
0 Kudos