Menu
jonthebones
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 3 bans port forwarding for SMTP port 25???

What the hell?

port25.JPG

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Super Hub 3 bans port forwarding for SMTP port 25???

Similar complaint here: 

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/SuperHub3-Capabilities-Older-Version-Cap...

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Similar complaint here: 

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/SuperHub3-Capabilities-Older-Version-Cap...

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

legacy1
Hero
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Should I suggest you try local port 24 end port 26 external port 24 end port 26 to see what happens?

Other then that use modem mode.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

why do you want to forward port 25?

Putting in the range 24 -26 also does not work. Just tested it myself on my Hub 3.0

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Tidus wrote:

Putting in the range 24 -26 also does not work. Just tested it myself on my Hub 3.0

So much for that trick... guess DMZ does the same...modem mode it is then unless they blocked that port too in that mode.Smiley Indifferent

jonthebones
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So annoying...

I run need to run a test email server in a lab.... so I can pay the bills, such as the Virgin bill...

I've got a rubbish Sky connection also - I'll have to use that for the time being!

Spoke to Virgin they are sending me a Hub 2 instead, hopefully it'll be a 2AC and all will be well.. Thanks for you replies guys

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Forwarding port 25 is the last of your worries when setting up a mail server on a dynamic IP.

1. Your IP could change at any time.
2. Your IP will be on Dynamic Host Blacklists and cannot be removed (Many email server will refuse connections).

I know you say test server but you will still run into above problems and really just not worth the hassle involved trying to get the blacklists removed against the IP for it to change at any time putting back to being blocked. I know I have done it myself.
I do run a mail server but its on a Static IP provided on my VM Business Line.

jonthebones
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have an account with SendGrid to use their SMTP smarthost, and use NoIP dynamic DNS as a CNAME with my MX record Smiley Happy  Works, great that is until SuperHub3. Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yep thats one way around it. Well the SH2AC does allow port 25 to be forwarded. Just checked on my SH2AC to make sure nothings changed. The restriction has only appeared on the Hub 3 (and even in the yet to be released firmware thats running on my hub 3.) 

jonthebones
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for checking . Fingers cross I'll get SH2AC sent out.

Would appear to be a an over-zealous security guy in charge of the dev of SH3. The bane of my existence.
0 Kudos