Menu
frontman
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 3 - Painfully slow GUI, Port forwarding issues, Password craziness

Just took delivery of the new Super Hub 3, had it just under a week, still ironing out issues and I think the Super Hub 2 might just have to come back into play.

SLOW GUI
I have honestly never seen anything so slow, Chrome keeps wanting to kill the page thinking its all timing out but no, its just the SHUB3 being 1990's slow, I mean, seriously, its awful. One setting change can take 3-4 mins to take effect, reboot -> ready to go again, around 6-8 mins. 

PORT FORWARD
As a Plex user I forward port 32400 to my Plex server IP to enable remote access. Despite having forwarded the necessary port ranges all checks reveal the port remains closed and my Plex server inaccessible remotely. I cannot find a fix for this. SHUB2 worked ok.

PASSWORD OPTIONS
I had a perfectly secure and complex password prior to getting the SHUB3 and obviously countless connected devices with the password already set up. The new SHUB3 has some crazy password policy that actually doesn't conform to its own rules - numbers, capitals, non consecutive, no more than 8 letters in a row etc etc etc... even if you choose a password that conforms to the rule, it still sometimes doesn't let you actually have that password. I don't understand it at all. 

Still finding out things about it, but for now, this looks to me the worst router I have ever used, even in dial-up days. Honestly, its pants!

Anyone else finding the same?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Super Hub 3 - Painfully slow GUI, Port forwarding issues, Password craziness

Not got a Hub 3.0 (note they dropped the super moniker, can't think why) but I have seen plenty of posts on here so I'll pass on what I have seen.

Slow GUI is a known issue that is improved in a later firmware that has been issued to testers. Official line from staff always seems to be "new firmware is coming soon" which has been the official line for a good few months now.  Some phone support staff have recently been suggesting that firmware updates will be pushed out to the general public towards the end of April.

Port forwarding requires the firewall option on the hub to be enabled as it is the firewall that does the forwarding.  Do you have the firewall enabled?

Pants is pretty much the consensus amongst most Hub 3.0 owners who post here Smiley Happy  

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Super Hub 3 - Painfully slow GUI, Port forwarding issues, Password craziness

Not got a Hub 3.0 (note they dropped the super moniker, can't think why) but I have seen plenty of posts on here so I'll pass on what I have seen.

Slow GUI is a known issue that is improved in a later firmware that has been issued to testers. Official line from staff always seems to be "new firmware is coming soon" which has been the official line for a good few months now.  Some phone support staff have recently been suggesting that firmware updates will be pushed out to the general public towards the end of April.

Port forwarding requires the firewall option on the hub to be enabled as it is the firewall that does the forwarding.  Do you have the firewall enabled?

Pants is pretty much the consensus amongst most Hub 3.0 owners who post here Smiley Happy  

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

frontman
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Scott,

Your post was a great help, thank you.

I reactivated the firewall and sure enough, that sorted the Plex/port forwarding issue.

Noted re the GUI/firmware update. Do you happen to know if firmware updates happen automatically?

Noted the Hub name too Smiley Happy

Again, thanks very much!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The hubs always check for new firmware when they start up, and if new firmware exists then yes it will install it automatically.

frontman
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ok, thanks again. I guess a regular reboot is a good thing then.
0 Kudos
adbask66
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's the worst router / modem combo I have seen so far. I used all kinds of router and switches in my work, from Cisco to Linksys to Tp link equipment  you name it I used it and worked with it, but this one is in a league of its own.

But again, nothing will ever surprise me from Virgin Media no disrespect meant to the average workers but virginM as an entity and a corporation it's among the worst in this country, I cannot believe that a country like the UK we're still behind when it comes to technology I have been to many so called "developing" nations, and believe you me they will put to shame every time and in almost every technological advances, they are way ahead of us, country like Korea, China, and many other nations are away ahead of every one else.

We pay lot of money for stupid service that works when it feels like, now virgin media is trying to push the land line through the internet so it won't cost them nothing but in the meantime it can drastically slow down the user's connection, and if the internet goes down so does your phone so this is what they're planning ahead.

It's pathetic.

0 Kudos