Menu
AdamDavidJones
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 3.0 Dropping Ethernet Connection

Hi all,

I got my broadband installed at my new address a week ago, and since then whenever I use my desktop PC for a prolonged period, it becomes very obvious that the connection is dropping every 30 minutes or so. This results in any streaming cutting out, downloads pausing and being booted out of any online game I happen to be playing at the time.

I saw in another thread that there's a huge problem reported with the Super Hub 3.0, which is what I'm using, whereby it drops out every 35 minutes or so, but having posted that on VM's Facebook the admin there told me to create a fresh forum post. I'm not sure why, because my issue is clearly the same as the 'port flapping' issue reported here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Hub-3-0-port-flapping/td-p/3073985

But hey, just rolling with what Dan the VM man's advice was.

I've contacted VM Customer Service and been bluntly told that I can't have a SH2ac, which would seemingly fix the issue.

Paying for a 200mb/s connection and getting a connection that drops out every 30 mins or so is surely something that violates their terms of service in some way? I'm sure they'd be quick enough to cut me off if I didn't pay my bill, but they're happy to do nothing about it when they don't deliver the service I'm paying for.

Anyone have any updates in the situation?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super Hub 3.0 Dropping Ethernet Connection

Hi there AdamDavidJones,

Welcome to the Community! Although, I do wish it were under better circumstances.

I imagine the team advised you to create a new thread in order for us to respond to you ASAP.

I'm very sorry to hear about the intermittent connection experienced.

As mentioned, this is a known issue with Hub 3.0's, dropping in modem mode on the Arris Chassis.

I have sent you a private message for us to discuss this further.

Catch you in a bit,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
mibin
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

I have just been upgraded to a Hub 3.0 modem / router, as part of a routine upgrade when I called out an engineer to deal with a lost internet connection (which was fixed exterior to my property and equipment.) The first engineer visit did not fix the internet connection problem despite the new hub. On a second visit the internet connection is fixed - something to do with signal strength - and the Hub 3.0 was replaced because it was a) running hot and b) did not function for ethernet wired connections.

I now have great wifi, but the 3 wired desktops (with Gigabit ethernet) and printer connected through an 8 way Gigabit switch and a wired extension wifi router are unable to get an IP address from the router and are thus useless. I have just looked at many threads like this, with people describing problems with wired connections to Hub 3.0 over the last year. Surely some solutions should be available by now.

I have called for a 3rd engineer visit, having spent a third hour on the phone to VM support, and had an entire working week without internet connection. My request for a downgrade back to Hub 2.0 has been declined. I have been a customer of VM and it's prior companies for 20 years. I have never had problems that were not sorted with a single engineer visit before, perhaps it is time to switch to another supplier so that I can get some work done ?

Any recommendations ?

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

assign static IPs to the wired devices, as a work-around

not ideal obviously,  if that works, then you have at least confirmed that the issue with with the DHCP server only, and you can get back on line to complain some more Smiley Happy

if I understand you correctly- you are saying that devices wired direct to the hub are fine, but devices wired indirectly via other equipment does not get  an IP address. that seems to point to the other equipment being faulty / not compatible?

some judicious swapping around of devices will help establish that

eg. move a non working device to a direct wired connect - does it then work.; move a working direct wired device to an indirect connect - does it then fail to work...

it it this AND that is causing the issue "connected through an 8 way Gigabit switch and a wired extension wifi router..." can you break that out & test those 2 things individually. the "wired extension wifi router " aka an access point ?  is the obvious suspect

FWIW all my wired device connect to my hub 3, in router mode, via Linksys Passive 8 way Gb switches & I have no issues. I also have a wired ASUS access point connected via those same switches for additional wired and wireless connects so my this AND that setup is OK

0 Kudos