Menu
funkmunk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 2AC - Software Version V2.01.10

Hi ... did a search before posting.

I had a Super Hub that shipped with Software Version V1.01.11. About a week ago i noticed alot of WIFI drops whilst using my XBOX ONE (used for Streaming and Tivo Box HMDI pass thru etc.) as a media center not just a console. Ran a few Ping -t tests from my laptop and noticed a few packets getting dropped (not many thought) and an average of 5-7ms responses but every 20-30 seconds there would be a few above 50 and some as high as 150. Not normal for an internal internal WIFI signal that's reporting -50dBm signal strength.

So yesterday I noticed the software version has been bumped up to V2.01.10 (not sure when this happened exactly). And a few months ago I had a letter from VM stating that there would be a change to my SuperHub to allow for some bandwidth sharing nonsense and it wouldn't affect normal operation.

I cant help but think my new WIFI issue and this firmwware upgrade are linked and am wondering if anyone else is seeing this. Guessing not since I wasn't able to find any other posts so far....

0 Kudos
funkmunk
Tuning in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super Hub 2AC - Software Version V2.01.10

OK ... Did some more troubleshooting and there's defiantly a problem with the WIFI radio on my SH 2AC.

Switched it over to Modem Mode and placed in another Netgear WIFI Router and connected up my PC's/Laptops and XBOX ONE. There were no streaming problems and the signal strength is better (not a conclusive test as its down to the device antennas) but the continuous ping test is 1ms (very occasionally 2ms). Also the streaming videos in the XBOX is perfect (Amazon Video and BBC iPlayer as an example).

Then went back to the Super Hub and the Streaming problem re-appears and the XBOX randomly disconnects and reconnects. Can support look into this with respect to the software versions please ?

Looks like another chap is also experiencing a very similar issue ... http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/superhub-2ac-disconnect-xbox-one/td-p/32...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi funkmunk,

Sorry for not reaching your post sooner.  We're currently working hard to get our responses out there faster.

But the original Super Hub Wi-Fi was susceptible to power levels issues (due to the single chipset) and tests of your connection show that the upstream power levels are on the high side.

I'll happily arrange for an engineer visit for you, though if your Super Hub 2ac is functioning well you may opt to decline that offer.

Let me know Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
funkmunk
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen,

Thanks for responding. An engineer visit would be welcome if the WIFI can be fixed. I'm slightly confused on how Power Levels would affect WIFI as I would expect that to affect the entire service including Ethernet connected devices no ?

Also if chip-sets are susceptible to problems then maybe changing the SHub to a newer model might be better ?

Let me know over PM if appropriate.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi funkmunk,

I do apologise as I think I may have misunderstood you initially.
When you posted that you "Then went back to the Super Hub and the Streaming problem re-appears"  I thought you meant you'd reverted back to Super Hub from Super Hub 2ac. 

Re-reading your post I think you may have meant that you'd reverted to router mode from modem mode? Please disregard my previous post as it doesn't apply to the model of Hub you have.

So let's start afresh.....
I don't object to sending out an engineer if needed, but I'd like to clarify a couple of things with you -

• Are the disconnects only evident via Wi-Fi?
  • Is it only the Xbox that is affected?

Please follow the advice in this link on how to optimise your wireless signal.

I'd also like you to differentiate between your wireless frequencies, if they're not already, by personalising the SSID's for them both .

Last resort is a factory reset.

Get back to me when you can and I'll determine what needs to happen next.

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
funkmunk
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen, as you suspected, you misread my explanation initially.

It was first apparent on the XBOX ONE becuase that was used for streaming whilst other tablets/phone devices are used for minimal network connectivity. However testing video chat via the phone shows the problem is on WiFi and switching over to the cellular signal performs much better.

I've done the usual Wireless channel switching and compared 2G and 5G signals and a full factory reset before posting here and it's had no effect unfortunately.

I just find it very strange that the signal strength is good with little interference from other AP's in the area and still get an unreliable signal ... again, only becoming obvious after noticing the firmware bump.

Cheers - Funk
0 Kudos
funkmunk
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen,

Further update/testing. We're starting to notice casual browsing becoming affected and video calling/streaming via WIFI almost usable in the last couple of days (factory reset had no improvement).

I switched to the Netgear R6300v2 mentioned in an earlier post, placed it in the same spot as the "Super"Hub and immediately get significant improvement in WIFI performance. Browsing is very fast and Video Calling is very smooth as expected.

I used 2 separate WIFI analyse tools (Windows and Android based) and both reported the same dBm signal strength between the "Super"Hub and the R6300v2 routers which were setup to run on the same 2G and 5G frequencies.

So its pretty clear the "Super"Hub is either faulty ... or the recent firmware update has had some kind of negative affect on the WIFI radio.

Cheers - Funk

0 Kudos
thedobles
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Funkmunk

I am having the same symptoms as you've described (streaming is nightmare, so problems with iPlayer and Amazon - with shows freezing).

I also signed up for the WiFi hotspot feature.

Have previously enjoyed no problems with streaming.

Have my SH2ac in router mode.

Cheers

Andrew

0 Kudos
funkmunk
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi thedobles,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing the same issues but glad there is someone else able to confirm this. (BTW, I didn't sign up for the hotspot feature. I was notified this would be enabled and not have any affect on my normal operation).

I'm assuming you also had your firmware upgraded and started experiencing the problem soon after ?

0 Kudos
Jacevoor77
Up to speed
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I didn't even know there was a new firmware out how do I get it my superhub ac is playing up in modem mode
0 Kudos