Menu
Gremlee
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 2 needs regular reboots and 2.4Ghz speed is Dreadful

I have a Super Hub 2 and to be quite honest, it's dreadful.  It requires nearly daily reboots and the 2.4 Ghz wireless speed is awful.  Virgin telephone support help is virtually non existent. 

I am on the 100 Mbps contract and to be fair the 5 Ghz WiFi speed side of things is fine most of the time.  Using a wireless device that uses 2.4 Ghz gets on average about 2.1 Mbps maximum about 3 meters away.  If I move out of the room I get about .5 Mbps which is just not good enough.  When I run the same test using 5 Ghz I get about 97 Mbps.  I've changed the channel (no difference), performed a factory reset (pin in the back), given the device a reserved IP address, given the device a static IP address, disconnected all other WiFi devices, all to no avail.  To determine the main cause I borrowed another WiFi router, connected it up and put the Virgin SH2 into modem mode and tested that.  A huge difference.  At this point I was thinking of buying another router but I honestly don't think I should when the Virgin router is part of the package I buy.

I spoke to Virgin and they was just not interested (as usual) and just wanted to sell me things (as usual).  I was told that no engineer would come to look at it as they were currently fixing cabling problems down the road and that would most likely be the cause.  I then explained the tests I had carried out and that this couldn't possibly be correct as the other router worked fine and why would that affect the WiFi coming off the router in my house!  Again, they didn't seem interested.  When I finally got through to technical support after four phone calls in a two hour period, I was told that I could try the new Hub but it would cost me £15.  I asked why I should be paying additional money when I was already paying for a service that didn't deliver as advertised.  The response was that I was getting what I paid for and that as a whole, the connectivity worked.  I responded that I wouldn't buy a car with three wheels if the engine did run, would I?

The Super Hub 2 also needs regular reboots due to disconnecting Wifi devices and not allowing them to reconnect.  This is an almost daily occurrence, no way around it.  It's almost become part of daily life which it shouldn't be.

Has anyone else had these problems and did you manage to resolve them?  If so, how?

I'm really annoyed that I have to come to forums and ask other customers help on this when Virgin should be taking ownership and trying to resolve a problem that is quite evidently theirs.  My mobile phone (and my wife's) is up for renewal soon and I will definitely not be buying them from Virgin as I just don't trust their customer service and their attitude to resolving problems.

For reference, I work in IT and design enterprise solutions for a living so you can go as technical as you like in your response.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
hksaint
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super Hub 2 needs regular reboots and 2.4Ghz speed is Dreadful

I have a similar issue where the 2.4GHz frequency connection stops working (5GHz connections continue to work with no issues) and the only way to get connected to 2.4GHz is to reboot my Superhub2.

There was a long (now archived) thread on a similar topic a couple of years ago. 

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/After-weeks-of-randomly-losing-wifi-connections-I-...

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I cannot see how VM or any other ISP can be responsible for your wireless environment, especially on the narrow 2.4Ghz band  or the wireless hardware you use, or the construction of your house.

Is VM responsible if your neighbour is using a video baby monitor, or a Toyota Prius is parked outside or you are using a laptop with a crappy single stream 2.4Ghz adapter, or you have placed your hub behind a fish task. All hypothetical scenarios but you get the idea.

The Hubs are like any other ISP's standard fayre, a basic entry level modem\router with modest capabilities, If VM provided premium wireless routers to everyone including those people that don't use wireless there will be more than one or two people complaining about paying the extra £20 or so a month VM would have to charge  to cover their costs.

The technical solution would be to get a Spectrum Analyser  scan your environment, eliminating sources of interference where possible and select the best wireless channel to use at that time, (wireless environments are dynamic). Hopefully, you will be able to identify the source of the interference causing your signal to drop outs and the poor speeds.

It would be a good idea to test the Hub's signal strength at a fairly close distance and then working out the signal FTA loss for the measured distance to the hub at the testing frequency, then you can work out the EIRP the hub is outputting estimating any interference losses from the noise level measured by the spectrum analyser as a check for the possibility of the Hub's 2.4Ghz radio failing.

I would then check that the hub and client devices are optimally placed, minimising signal shadow fading and the rotation is condusive to the polorization of the signal.

0 Kudos
Gremlee
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

As I said in my OP, I was no more than 3 meters away from the router in the middle of a room with a clear air gap when I did the testing.  Added to the fact that I have to keep rebooting, this is not normal.

I tried a couple of other routers, including an old WRT54GL with reduced power, and even that achieved a signal strength of -42 dBm on my tests.  The VM SH2 only managed -89 dBm - that is definitely not right.  These tests were carried out using my works 6G and is backed by my laptop test software.  The spectrum of the 2.4 showed that only channels 1 to 3, and 9 to 11 were being used so I tested on 5 to 8.  Channel 6 was shown to be the best.  All interference including baby monitors, microwaves, Xmas tree lights, lead, etc was looked for and checked to ensure it didn't interfere.

This is definitely a problem with the VM router.  Don't get me wrong, I don't expect them to give us the best router on the market, but I do expect one that can outperform or equal a 12 year old test router.  If I buy into a contract that states they have excellent customer support and then doesn't, there is something badly wrong.  When they were looking to me to renew my contract, they wouldn't leave me alone.  Now I have a problem, they won't even entertain the issue or phone me back.  If they can't send an engineer out they could at least send a replacement router.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The receiving station will still be receiving unwanted wireless signals from any wireless source in range on that frequency, signals that the receiving station will see as noise. The the distance between router and client the stronger the signal should be and will therefore give to a better Signal to Noise ratio. and therefore a better quality signal. But that noise will be there degrading your signal somewhat, being close to the router does not completely negate wireless interference.

At 3m I would expect a signal of roughly -33dBm per stream from the SH2. If you are testing with the WRT54 in the same location as the SH2 and the client at 3m, then you can rule out massive interference. I agree a signal -89dBm is very poor and is at the limit of most wireless client's receive sensitivity.

If this is the case, then it does indeed look like a case of the hub's 2.4GHz radio failing.

I take it you mean that your wireless scanner was showing other networks on channels 1, 3, 9 and 11. if this is the case, the networks on channel 3 and channel 9 will both be interfering with channel 6 as wireless channels overlap on the 2.4Ghz band.

Generally it is a good idea to keep to the non overlapping channels of 1 6 and 11 and let the co-channel cooexistence software do it's thing, but that does not stop neighbours using the intermediate channels or using 40Mhz channel bonding.

The having to reboot after a wireless dropout is a common problem and it is not confined to VM. The same thing can happen when a computer goes to sleep or when power management turns off the wireless adapter. Updating the wireless adapter drivers from the adapter's manufacturer's website might possibly help.

0 Kudos
Gremlee
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

"If this is the case, then it does indeed look like a case of the hub's 2.4GHz radio failing."

I agree.  Very annoying that VM won't even look at this to see if it's a problem.  Awful customer service and technical support, absolutely wicked.

I've tried to resolve this by phone, by email, and now by this forum.  I think i'll wait 48 hours to see if this post gets a response from them before I take my next action.

0 Kudos