Menu
jnfern1589
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sudden average latency increase (10ms to 140ms)

Hello all,

On the 100MB broadband package and had an IP address change for the first time in several years on the 20th Jan (not sure if that signifies a network change). All was still fine until the weekend, when the average latency jumped from ~10ms to 140ms, where it has remained for the whole of this week.

My BQM graph for the day of the jump is:  http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/d99996e1a8784797631fce1e7398ae2e-30-01-2017.html

Next day: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/811a4c3e965962d82242b39e89b85103-31-01-2017.html

Today: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/b38c74442a2ecace4a24e1e9658a889b-01-02-2017.html

This is noticeable on interactive SSH sessions, and some of my other monitoring (http establishment to www.google.com)Google_http_last_864000.png

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sudden average latency increase (10ms to 140ms)

So we can help us to help you, can you

Go to your Superhub Log in screen

Do NOT log in.

Little button top right.....

Can you post Upstream, Downstream and Network logs.

Screen caps are nice, C&P will do- Don't stress about formatting if you C&P. Someone will get a look and see if there's anything obvious amiss.

0 Kudos
jnfern1589
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. details are below:

downstream.pnglog.pngupstream.png

Cheers

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Looks fine, nothing there that would explain it.

HERE

Run it for say 24 hrs, and post the result.

Dont forget youll need to make sure your super hub is configured to reply to ICMP echo requests...

BQM.jpg

0 Kudos
jnfern1589
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,

That's the same as the 3 links I put in my opening post (?)

The last 24hr is:

bqm.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You appear to serviced via a SH1/VMDG480 - and your upstream appears saturated! Several reasons, including potential network upgrades but (if you haven't already) reboot (and consider even a FactoryReset).
I'd suggest then posting your firmware version (RouterStatus > Information > Software Version), placing(or confirming) the SH1 in ModemMode, Reboot PC in SAFE+NETWORK mode and reconfiguring TBB/BQM for changed MAC address (ensuring firewall enables ICMP echo).

That (hopefully) may indicate whether it is your cable segment that us over utilised or background app on your specific connection.

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

DOH!

Yup see that now, Horseys advice is spot on.

0 Kudos
jnfern1589
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I'm on V2.39.02, it's already in Modem modem (with a Linux server connected to it), and the modem has been rebooted recently.

It's not, from what I can tell, caused by uplink saturation from my end - my uplink graph shows low usage, and I can achieve reasonable speeds if I do a speedtest - it's specifically latency that I'm observing.

graph_image.png

Looking at some other stats I've been recording - from when this problem started the RTT to my default gateway has over doubled from ~8ms to ~18ms 

DefaultGW_last_864000.png

If I do a test from my work machine to the virgin default gateway I get a very consistent 7.3ms. But from work to my home it's an average of ~170ms and a StDev of 112!

Certainly feels like something on the local segment, if not line specific (the stats pasted earlier have already been said are within parameters).

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi jnfern1589,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Sorry to read you are having issues with your broadband connection. I know how frustrating this can be.

I would like to check your connection for any issues, however I was unable to locate your account. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please. Once you have replied I can look into this further.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos