Menu
cgfw201
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Struggling to Extend Network via Powerlines + spare router

Hi.

Switched from Sky to Virgin 2 months ago because Sky was rubbish.

Virgin turns out was also rubbish, but were at least good enough to give us 2 months free whilst they fixed our (total lack of) internet that they sold us.

Anyway, the Virgin cable comes in through the back of the house, which is where the router is. Consequently, the front of the house can't receive the wifi signal.

I had a TP Link extender when I had Sky for the exact reverse of the problem above, phone cable came in front of the house. That worked fine for Sky. 

Anyway, for whatever reason it doesn't give the Virgin wifi quite enough oomph to get it through to other side of the house.

I spoke to Virgin about this last week and they said what I needed to get wifi throughout my house was some Powerlines. I said, ok, and now I have some.

I've installed them, however it turns out the wifi extending powerlines I've been sold don't actually extend the wifi. They require an ethernet cable to be plugged in at the other end to the device you want to connect. This isn't very practical for two people lying in bed trying to browse the web on iPads which can't reach the router. 

I've tried pairing the TP Link extender with the Powerlines but it seems it only receives internet via wireless signal. rather than from ethernet and then turning that into wireless.

I've also tried using my old Sky router. I can't get this to work as when I try to get to the router settings described on guides online via going to 192.168.0.1 all I get is Sky's generic troubleshooting guide for the internet not working properly.

I feel like I have all of the things I need to get wifi throughout my house, I just can't seem to set them up right.

Thanks

PS These powerlines are rubbish aren't they, who connects devices via cables to the internet? Or is that just me?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Struggling to Extend Network via Powerlines + spare router

If you told the people who sold you the powerlines you wanted to extend your WiFi with them, take them back and get a set that WILL.

As an example

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DAZPCSQ?ref=emc_b_5_t

As for "is it just me", depends totally on the application. Wireless is okay for the kids playing games on their Ipads. If you are going to play a FPS on Xbox or PS4, you want a wired connection. Horses for courses....

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

cgfw201 wrote:

PS These powerlines are rubbish aren't they, who connects devices via cables to the internet? Or is that just me?

Anyone who plays games or needs a reliable/fast internet connection.

In this house I have over 10 devices connected wired, the only devices that use wifi here are phones and tablets.

Note that with wifi all devices share the available bandwidth and just take turns very quickly using it.

anyway what  said. If you said you wanted to expand your wifi, they sent you the wrong type of adaptors. If you decide you want to buy them yourself from amazon etc, then make sure you get powerline wifi extenders as suggested by 

0 Kudos
cgfw201
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

have arranged a return with Virgin, and will buy one of these instead

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-PLW1000-100UKS-Powerline-Ethernet-Homeplug/dp/B01B4X4W6O

Which I think is what I'm after. 

Had no idea connecting via a cable was so popular, don't do much gaming but never had an issue with FIFA online over wifi, same with Zwift.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

cgfw201 wrote:

have arranged a return with Virgin, and will buy one of these instead

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-PLW1000-100UKS-Powerline-Ethernet-Homeplug/dp/B01B4X4W6O

Which I think is what I'm after. 

Had no idea connecting via a cable was so popular, don't do much gaming but never had an issue with FIFA online over wifi, same with Zwift.

Thats the ticket!

Those should serve you admirably.

WiFi is too flaky for determined FPS players in most cases, but there are exceptions to every rule. However even with a good connection , it will introduce latency because of the nature of the transmission protocol. As long as its constant (translating to slightly elevated in game ping), most players will adapt or not notice. When it moves around  (jitter) is when there are issues. One of my kids plays CS-GO competitively and was doing so over WiFi or powerlines until recently with no issues, for the above reason- whilst it increased latency slightly it actually smoothed the jitter so the net result was fine.

0 Kudos