Menu
Roobarbthedog
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Strange MAC Address broadcasting on my network

Hi All, I've just installed a Hub 3 router yesterday and my Symantec Endpoint Protection is showing blocked UDP broadcasts on port 138 from:

MAC address looks a bit contrived but I won't post it here.

The IP address looks like it is inside my network (in modem mode on my previous router it had an IP of 192.168.100.1), and this isn't the MAC of any of my devices or any I can see on the HUB Router. Is this a dummy/system MAC address and should I be worried about it? I have already set up a firewall rule to block port 138 UDP traffic, so again this suggests that this broadcast is inside the network.

Thanks in advance

Paul

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Strange MAC Address broadcasting on my network

You can check the MAC address here

First thought was it could be something to do with the Internet telephone side of the hub 3, but checking out port 138 I am not so sure. 

Maybe someone more knowlegable can chip in.

0 Kudos
Roobarbthedog
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Strange MAC Address broadcasting on my network

Hi Griffin,

the MAC address finder says it belongs to the ARRIS group, who I believe are the router manufacturers. I'm still suspecting the broadcast / port connection attempts are being generated by the router but confused as to why the mac address is nothing like the mac addresses that show up when I log on to the router to check status etc.

Roobarb.

0 Kudos