Menu
davetinny
Just joined
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Stop someone using my internet

Hi I let my neighbour update his ps4 game using my internet via wps button as he was using a dongle and the updates was eating all his data. I have since found out that he's  still using my internet. How do i stop this? At present I've resulted in turning my router of so he can't connect. I have hub3 if that's any help.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Stop someone using my internet

Simplest way is to change the password of the WiFi he is using.
davetinny
Just joined
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That's the password that came with the router?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Could look at guide https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Northdowns
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you don't want to change your password, block his MAC address in router admin settings.

*** Just a service user, just like you ***
Excellence20
Dialled in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As other users have stated, easiest way is to change your WiFi password, quite simple to do but unfortunately I'm running in Modem Mode so I can't screenshot and annotate at present.

If you don't want to change your WiFi password but want to block access, Northdowns mentions you can block the MAC address. A more complicated method but this will prevent having to reconnect all wireless devices.

You should be able to find the PS4's MAC address within the list of connected devices, though I believe the PS4 doesn't use a network name (latest slim version shows up with just a MAC on my router). If you don't recognise this use process of elimination or trial and error until you find the PS4 in question.

If you need further help with this, just ask!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I would bear in mind that MAC Filtering is trivial to bypass for a tech savvy user. Changing the password would be far more reliable.

0 Kudos
Excellence20
Dialled in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

For a PS4, MAC filtering would be more than suitable but yeah for a desktop or laptop, best to change the wireless passcode.

0 Kudos